Close

These past few months spent with Duncan were the best. Every time Grace was with him she felt an unspeakable joy. However, one dark thought lingered in her head… could they ever be more than just friends. 
A borrower dating a bean was forbidden; Grace's parents would totally freak out if they found out she even liked him! She didn't want to disappoint them but she was prepared to let them down. The only thing she could never be prepared for was the potential rejection. 
It was clear that Grace loved Duncan, but what if he didn't love her? He would always have to take care of her, he wouldn't be able to start a family with her, his whole life with her would have to be secretive! Why would he want to be with a borrower when he could date a woman his own size? These thoughts are what held her back ever since she started to speak to him, but her heart yearned for an answer now! 
Grace decided to wear the nicest dress she had, which was actually made from an old lavender blanket his mother threw out two months ago, but hopefully Duncan wouldn't notice that. She tiptoed through the narrow passageways and stepped onto his dresser. 
Duncan laid there watching a video on his phone. He was dressed in green pj bottoms and a band t-shirt. His blond hair was totally messy, but Grace thought he looked adorable. She would love nothing more than to just lay on his chest and watch videos as he gently stroked her back, then he would bring her up to his face and kiss her! Grace couldn't help but squeal just thinking about it! 
"Huh?" Duncan sat up and looked over to his dresser. "Grace?" 
"Y-yes…" Grace grew red as she watched the teenage boy stand to his full height and walk towards her. 
"You look… great!" 
"Th-thank you." 
"So you gotta date or something?" He chuckled. 
"Well… not exactly." Grace took a deep breath; she made it this far, she had to tell him! She tried to lock eyes with him but when she opened her mouth, the words couldn't form. 
Duncan gave her a concerned look. "Is everything okay?" 
This was a mistake! Grace shouldn't have tried to tell him how she felt. She wasn't ready to admit her feelings to him! "I… just nevermind!" 
She tried to scurry back to the passageway but Duncan immediately blocked her way with his hand. 
"Grace, don't run away." His voice softened. "You can tell me anything." 
"It's n...nothing, Duncan." 
"It's obviously not if you came here!" 
"I just want to go home." She snapped.
"Not until you tell me what's wrong!" 
"What's wrong? What's wrong is that our friendship is against everything I was taught but we've continued to see each other despite this and that's only made it harder to deal with my feelings for you!" 
"Wait you-!"
"Yes, I love you…." Grace's heart pounded in her chest. She couldn't bare to even look him in the eyes. Then Duncan's hand scooped up the tiny girl. She let out a gasp as he brought her closer to her face. Suddenly, warm lips pressed up against her face. She felt her cheeks burn with passion! Her whole body melted in the palm of his hand. 
Duncan pulled away, breathless. "I always thought you were too scared to love me."