Stay

Tonight was going to be the night Stella finally left…. At least, that's what she kept telling herself for the past three weeks. It would be incredibly easy for Stella to just slip out of Jason's crummy apartment, so why didn't she just go? 

Maybe it was the fear of what would happen if she did get caught again. Stella was lucky Jason didn't just throw her a cage after the first incident, she feared what would happen if she tried again. But at the same time, Stella knew she had to leave because she did not believe Jason would actually let her go when Spring rolled around. She's nothing more than a fragile pet in a giant world, it's not like Jason ever thought she was capable of surviving out on the streets even though she did it for sixteen years! But if Stella was honest with herself, she would admit that she fears that if she does leave now, will she actually survive the upcoming winter?

It was nearing the end of October, and the cold was already seeping in. Stella hadn't endured a winter since her parents died and if she left now, she would have to deal with it alone. She wasn't sure if she was ready to deal with that right now. Because Jason lived in the basement, she was already dealing with a taste of the cold outdoors and she did not like it! It didn't matter how many napkins she piled onto herself, she still shivered at night. 

Jason had noticed that one night and offered his extra blanket he kept on his bed during the cold nights. Stella was confused at first, Jason constantly complained about the cold weather a lot and he was willing to give up his blanket to her? Surely he had something more appropriate for her size. 

But he insisted, and Stella found herself wrapped up in the giant blanket. The fleece was soft to the touch, oftentimes Stella would bury herself in the deep red fabric and get lost in it. It felt rather peaceful to be fully engulfed by the blanket late at night, she could almost drown out the thoughts of being trapped with another giant, and that would soothe her enough to fall asleep. Stella knew she would have to make her escape one night, but for now, she should get some rest.