Mortal Frienemy

"So, there's a young witch who appears to be more powerful than anything you've ever seen," Lorelei started as she paced in the parlor. Rebekah had explained her encounter with the little witch, Davina that Marcel – a vampire whom Klaus had turned and had taken over New Orleans – was using for some odd reason. "And she has Elijah. How did you let this get so bloody screwed?" Lorelei snapped, her sharp eyes locked on Klaus. "How was I supposed to know about this little witch?" Klaus said as if he didn't really care. "You shouldn't have gambled your brother away!" Lorelei growled, glaring hard.

"I cannot believe you disposed of those vampires without me. You know how I love to set things on fire," Rebekah grumbled, suddenly annoyed with her brother. "Was I supposed to leave them in the front yard to rot? Besides, they were my responsibility. They attacked the helpless pregnant girl who's carrying my child," Klaus droned in annoyance. "Oh, I am so moved by your newfound sense of fatherly duties towards the werewolf carrying your hybrid bun in her oven," Rebekah snapped. Lorelei let them bicker even though her impatience was growing. Hayley moved into the parlor, an old leather book in the crook of her arm. Lorelei looked at the book and recognized it instantly. She had seen Elijah writing in that journal and ones just like it often. "The werewolf would like to know what the plan is," Hayley stated with a humph. "So would I," Lorelei added, crossing her arms over her chest, her hip jutting out slightly.

"Well, that depends on what plan you mean, love," Klaus started, getting up from the chair he was lounging in with ease. "My plan for global domination, or Rebekah's plan to find love in a cruel, cruel world," Klaus teased, smirking that devilish smirk of his. Rebekah glared, snatching up a pencil from the desk she leaned against and tossing it right at her brother's face. He caught it easily before it had a chance to touch his face. "The plan to rescue Elijah. You know, the good brother," Lorelei snapped, offering a smirk of her own to Klaus. "The one who is now in the possession of your mortal enemy after you stabbed him in the back," Hayley added with a nod of agreement. "In the front, if we're being specific," Klaus mused, twirling the pencil in his fingers. "You two said that you would get him back. So is there a plan, or what?" Hayley asked, clutching Elijah's journal to her chest.

"Okay. Well, firstly, Marcel is not my mortal enemy – he's my friend, albeit one who is unaware that I'm trying to sabotage his hold over the supernatural community of the French Quarter, but a friend nonetheless," Klaus insisted, continuing to twist the pencil absentmindedly. "And secondly, I daggered Elijah in order to gain Marcel's trust. If I had known he would place my brother in the hands of a particularly nasty teenaged witch, I certainly would have weighed my options a bit differently," Klaus continued before turning to face Rebekah, pointing the pencil at her. "And thirdly, sister, please," he finished, turning back to Lorelei and Hayley with a slight flourish of his hands. "And thirdly, the plan, as you have demanded, is for Niklaus to simply ask Marcel for Elijah back," Rebekah said. The tone of her voice clearly said she was less than pleased with this plan.

"That's... that's not the whole plan, is it?" Hayley asked skeptically. "Please, Klaus may be a miserable excuse for a sibling, but there is none more diabolical," Rebekah said, crossing her arms and rolling her eyes. "And that's only the Plan A, love. There's always a Plan B," Klaus added with a smile. "And what's Plan B?" Lorelei asked as she started pacing around the room again. "War," Klaus replied, his devilish smirk falling from his lips. "Great," Lorelei grumbled, shaking her head as she retreated to her room. "We have a party tonight," Rebekah called after Lorelei. The sound of her heels clinking after Lorelei made her slow her retreat until Rebekah's steps fell in stride with Lorelei's.

"A party?" Lorelei asked, pretending not to be the slightest bit interested. But Rebekah smiled, knowing her old friend too well. It seemed that the past 500 years had not tarnished the bond of sisterhood they had forged together in their human lives. "Yes. It's a masquerade – I know how you love those," Rebekah continued, the corners of her lips turning up in a smile. "And whose party is it?" Lorelei asked, giving up her feeble attempts to hide her excitement. "Marcel's," Rebekah replied, her smile faltering slightly. "Why would we be attending his party?" Lorelei grumbled, suddenly out of the partying mood. "Because it's all part of Plan B. But I was hoping that we could have some time to catch up. What better place than a party?" Rebekah asked, forcing her voice to become carefree. Lorelei thought for a moment and nodded. "Fine. But I need a dress," Lorelei said with a smile. She remembered how much Rebekah loved to shop. Even 500 years ago, she had loved to spend Klaus' money.