chapter 13: all together but she up to no good

CHRIS'S POV-NEXT DAY

3 AM

I woke to the sound of small cries in the room. I sat up and saw my son trying to touch his arm. Instantly my arm started burning, that explains it all.

I gently got out the bed so I wouldn't bump Leana and paged the nurse.

Seconds later the two from earlier ran in with a cart to his side. The short one filled a needle with something.

"What in that?!" I asked standing behind them trying to look over their shoulders.

"It's pain reliever, don't worry!" The other one said prepping his arm.

She rested it and stuck it in his I.V. His crying stopped after a second and he sniffed with puffy eyes.

"Its okay sweety. You hungry?" She sat on the edge of the bed and stroked his cheek.

"Alright I'll get you some apple sauce"

He nodded and sniffed a little.

She stood up and the both of them walked out not before smiling at me.

I looked up at my boy and he looked at me for the first time. I wanted to cry but I've done enough of that. I walked to him and sat on the foot of his bed Indian style having a stare off.

He was breathing hard like he was scared and gripped on his sheets with his good arm.

I stared back and imitated him. He let out a yawn and I copied him. He looked at me and let go of the blanket and I dis the same.

He stared at me hard and cracked a smiled. I smiled harder and then he gave a stale face.

"Okay here's an apple sauce for you sweety" she handed me the clear cup and a spoon and left.

I looked at the cup and back at him. I picked the apple sauce up with spoon and tried to feed him.

He moved his head out the way with a mug.

I put my eyebrows together.

"Did you just curve me?" He looked at me with the same look, instantly seeing myself in him.

I shrugged.

"More for me" I ate some.

"Mmmmm.. This so ssoooooo good" I went to eat some more until he started whining and reached for it.

"Okay, okay... Let me feed you" he looked at me for a second and opened his mouth a little.

"Here come the plane" I made voices and he laughed eating eating it off the spoon.

As soon as it was gone he went back to acting like he was scared of me.

He rubbed his eye, and I mocked him, he scratched his head and I repeated.

We went back and fourth before for a while, until I heard groaning. I looked over and Leana was sitting up, eyes closed, with a hand on her forehead. I quickly got up from the bed and grabbed Lena's face and kissed her lips.

"Hey baby" she said giggling looking up at me squinting.

"You want me to turn a light off?" She nodded waving me towards the  light switch.

I dimmed the lights on her side

"Mama!"

She snapped her head in his direction and sat up and touched her stomach and sighed in relief.

"Is everything okay?!" She asked worrying. I grabbed her and and touched her belly and felt little kicks.

She winced a little "okay Jamie your hurting mommy" the kicks stopped and she faced our son again and tears welled in her eyes.