Chapter Twenty-Three: The Mall

It was your first time in a car with Tadashi and Hiro. Tadashi sat in the passenger seat beside Cass, and you were stuck with Hiro in the back. 

Soon after a moment of awkward silence, Cass began to tell stories of Tadashi and Hiro when they were little. 

"Tadashi told Hiro a scary monster lived in the tub when Hiro was six," she recalled, grinning. "And Hiro refused to bathe for two weeks."

Ew, you thought, inching away from Hiro. "I hope you have better hygiene habits now," you said, glancing at him.

"Of course I do!" Hiro spluttered. Both of the brothers were blushing, and staring out their windows.

Cass continued with her story. "And Tadashi told Hiro my pastries were poisoned when Hiro was seven," she added. "So he could have them all to himself." 

"What? I don't remember that!" Tadashi sat up. He took his cap off and ran a hand through his hair nervously. 

"I didn't believe that one," Hiro piped up. "Since Tadashi's a horrible liar." He grinned at his brother, then at his aunt.

"And, of course, the classic you-were-adopted prank," Cass said, laughing. She glanced at Tadashi. "It didn't work of course, since. . . you know."

Another awkward moment fell over the four of you, and you were relieved when the car pulled into the large parking lot. 

When the four of you got out of the car, you squinted as the sun shone into your eyes. You felt something being put onto your head, and your (E/C) looked up to see Tadashi's cap protecting your eyes from the sun. Tadashi gave you a reassuring grin as the car locked with a chirp, chirp.

"Where to first?" Cass asked as the group entered the mall. Immediately, noise filled your ears. People were all over the place. 

"I don't know," you said truthfully. "And Michiko is getting my dress tomorrow."

"You can at least help us out," Cass replied. "And keep Hiro amused since he hates shopping," she added, giving her nephew an affectionate pat on the head. 

Hiro ducked away. "I don't need a babysitter!"

The group stopped in front of a store. The window was filled with dresses. "I'll be right back," Cass exclaimed. 

"Aw, come on! We need to wait out here?" Hiro whined. He glanced into the store. "This is boring." 

"Would you rather go inside?" you asked, raising your eyebrow. 

Tadashi sighed. "Who knows how long we'll have to wait?"

"This was your idea, Tadashi!" Hiro accused. 

"Hey, Tadashi! Hiro! (Y/N)!" a voice called. The three of you turned to see Honey Lemon, GoGo, Wasabi, and Fred walking towards you.

"What are you guys doing here? I thought you hated shopping," GoGo said, chomping on some gum. Fred didn't even look up, just kept his nose buried in some comic book.

"Aunt Cass wanted to go," Hiro grumbled, kicking at the ground. 

"We were just on our way to the food court," Honey explained. "Want to come? We didn't eat lunch." She adjusted her glasses brightly.

Hiro looked up. "Food!"

"Not so fast, brother," Tadashi cut in. "We need to wait for Aunt Cass."

"She could be in there for hours! We may as well eat something while we wait," Hiro pleaded, pacing from foot to foot. 

Suddenly, Cass appeared again, holding a small bag. "I'm done!" she chirped. "Oh, hello!" She turned to Honey, GoGo, Wasabi, and Fred.

"Hi, Cass," they said in unison.

Cass gave her nephews a knowing smile. "And you want to go with them, don't you?"

Tadashi paused, not wanting to sound rude. But Hiro bobbed his head up and down.

"Go ahead," Cass said as her phone suddenly buzzed. "Oh, no, I have a customer! Bye now!" She dashed off, the bag flapping against her arm. 

"Now can we get lunch? Please?" Hiro begged. He turned to you and widened his eyes, making them glisten. "Come on, I'm hungry." He blinked innocently.

You forced yourself to look away. "Gah, go torture someone else with that face."

Hiro turned to Tadashi. "Please?"

"Okay, fine," Tadashi said, holding his hands up in surrender. "Where to?"

"California Pizza Kitchen!" Hiro yelled, jumping up and down. Some people looked over at his sudden outburst.

"Sound good?" Wasabi said. Everyone nodded.

* * *

The group sat at a corner table, and you were squeezed in between Tadashi and Hiro. You hungrily scarfed down a (Favorite Food) and fries. 

Hiro was already done with his food. He leaned over and took a fry from your plate. "Hey!" you protested.

Hiro frowned. "Fine," he grumbled. He held it up to your mouth. "Here."

"Haha, (Y/N), needs Hiro to feed her!" Fred laughed, slurping his soda. Everyone at the table laughed except for you and Hiro.

You shoved the offer away. "Take it," you replied, staring down at your food. 

After a nice meal, the group left the restaurant, full and happy. "Ooh, ooh, let's go to Sugar's! They have a sale!" Honey Lemon shrieked, pointing to a store nearby. It looked like it was attacked by pink cotton candy clouds and glittering unicorns. 

"There? That's like a place to get nail polish and earrings! I definitely don't need either of those," Fred gagged, making a face.

"Come on, just for a few minutes," Honey pleaded, ushering the group into the store. It was obviously meant for people who liked girly things, so everyone but Honey Lemon was standing there.

Honey huffed. "Act natural!"

"Uh, okay. I'll just stand here and try on perfume samples. So natural," Fred snorted, but he drifted over to a rack of stuffed animals, pretending to be interested. Wasabi, GoGo, and Tadashi went over to the huge stuffed animal pillows that were on a shelf at the far side of the store. Hiro walked away towards some jewelery racks. 

You had no idea where to go. Casually, you sidled over to a shelf of sparkly notebooks in in the corner. Grateful for the shelf blocking the view from the rest of the store, you sighed and poked through the books.

Suddenly, you felt two hands on your shoulders. They turned you around so you were staring straight into Hiro's serious face. 

"Hiro?" You tugged yourself away, but he clamped his hands right back on your shoulders, holding you in place. 

"(Y/N). I need to talk to you," he said.

* * *

Sugar's is the cheap knockoff of Justice, okay? xD

~Clover