Chapter Twenty-Nine: Grief

You saw Baymax soaring up towards you. You shook your head, scattering tears across your face.

"You got rid of Callaghan! That's amazing! How did you do i-" Hiro was cut off when he saw Tadashi. He scrambled off Baymax and ran to his brother. "No!" he screeched. He ran to you and took Tadashi from your hands. "Tadashi, open your eyes," he begged. "Open them. If you open them I promise I'll do whatever you want." He shook his brother wildly. "Tadashi, open your eyes!" He began crying uncontrollably. 

You tried to stop crying yourself. It was impossible. 

"Tadashi!" Hiro didn't even bother to hide his tears. "Tadashi. . . why. . . why did it have to be you?!"

* * *

The ride back to your house was unbearably quiet. Hiro dropped you off at the end of the driveway. 

You were about to turn away, then stopped. "Hiro."

Hiro glanced up at you sadly. 

"You were involved in the attack, weren't you?" you asked softly.

Hiro bit his lip and stared at his lap, tears teetering on his eyelids. 

"You were!" you said, your voice rising. "You planned it all with Callaghan! You led us to fight! You killed Tadashi!" you cried, tears streaming down your face.

"That's true," Hiro mumbled. "But I did it for a reason. I didn't know Tadashi was going to die."

"You're a murderer!" you screamed. "I hate you! You deserve to die!"

"(Y/N)," Hiro said, looking at you in the eye for once. His brown eyes were glazed over with pain, sorrow, and grief, and his own face was shiny with tears. "I've lost my brother, my friends, and the one girl I love. Do you think it's easier for me to die, or go on living?"

"I don't care if you die or live! Just stay out of my life! I never want to see your stupid face again!" You wiped a tear angrily, and stomped away. Once you were inside your room, you pulled off your helmet and flung it as far as possible. It landed in a pile of clothes.

Then you threw yourself on top of the huge teddy bear, your tears soaking its artificial fur.

* * *

"(Y/N)," your dad called softly from behind the door.

You opened your eyes. Pale sunlight streamed through the window, and your bed was a mess. Balled tissues covered the messy blankets, and you felt like poop.

Your dad came in anyway. "Cass told me what happened," he said quietly. "I'm so sorry."

You glanced over at your mirror. Dark purple crescents lined your eyes, and your hair was a mess. Your pajamas were wrinkled. You had buried the suit far back into your closet.

"Was Tadashi your. . . boyfriend?" your dad asked suddenly, shifting uncomfortably. 

"No," you whispered, your throat sore. "Dad, I'm tired. Let me sleep."

"Okay. Remember, I'm here if you need anything."

* * *

Michiko crept into your room and replaced the uneaten plate of food on your desk. "Aren't you hungry?" she called gently.

You gave a loud sniffle in reply.

Michiko understood, and left your room. You sat up and stared at the plate. It was a (F/F), but you just weren't in the mood. It was like your stomach had died inside you or something.

This went on for almost a week. The only thing you ate in days was a glass of water and an apple, and you stayed in bed all day.

"This isn't good for her," you heard your father whisper to Michiko as they passed by your room. "She needs fresh air and food." 

I don't care, you thought. I may as well die in here and just escape all the misery now. 

The next time Michiko bought you your food, you turned away. 

She sighed. "(Y/N), I know it's hard, but just eat something. Please!"

You scowled. Michiko sighed and left the bedroom in defeat. You glanced back at the plate, feeling queasy even at the thought of food.

"You know, you have to eat something," a voice said. You turned around and saw Hiro, standing in the doorway.

You let out a shriek. "Get out of my room!" You flung several pillows at him. Hiro scoffed, and walked right in. 

"Hiro, I'm not kidding. Leave me alone," you said angrily, crawling under the blankets. "I told you to stay out of my life."

The blankets were ripped off of you. "Doesn't mean I have to listen," Hiro replied. 

You kicked him in the stomach. "Don't touch me, you worthless idiot!"

Hiro stepped back. "Geez, I just wanted to visit you, maybe comfort you."

"I don't need your comfort," you spat icily. "I don't need you for anything." You pulled the covers back over your head.

"(Y/N), you're not the only one grieving, okay?" Hiro said. "I am, too. Cass is. Your friends are." He plopped down on the bed and blinked sadly at you.

You felt the blankets being whisked off you again. "Why do you care so much about me, anyway?" you growled, scrambling backwards into a sitting position.

In reply, Hiro leaned forward and pressed his lips to yours.

* * *