7 Apartment

J A M E S ' S   P O V

"Ma I found an apartment and it's perfect for the both of us" I try to convince my mother that doesn't want to leave this house. She's cooking lunch for the both of us while I sit in the square shaped dinner table. My father didn't come home since last night and we have no idea where he is but I have a slight feeling that he's probably with his brother's, uncle Dave's house because that's where he stays when he messes things up.

Today is Saturday so I have no work. I decided to go find an apartment for my mom and I to live. That's the first thing that came into my mind when I woke up. I found an apartment near the school that work for and it's quite expensive but I can afford it since I've never actually spend my money so much all these years. It's very simple just a little small but it will surely perfectly fit for mom and I. I didn't sign the papers yet but I told Robert that I will tonight as soon as I convince my mom to move with me. Robert is a parent of my of my best students in school and he works as an agent of apartment and stuff.

"I don't see any reason why we should move" she answers me still not turning around. Of course she would say those. She doesn't really wanna leave her drunk of a husband even it's not good for her. I don't want to push her but we need to leave this house because I can't deal with Dad being drunk anymore. We both know that the doctor said stress isn't good for her and my Father isn't helping with it. At least she won't have to deal with my drunk father in the middle of the night when we move there.

I take a deep breath trying to control my anger and annoyance towards my own mother.

"Ma, we both know this isn't good for your health. Over thinking or stressing about Dad's drinking again, is going to make it worst. You need to think of yourself Ma. I promise I will take good care of Dad and send him into rehabilitation. But first promise me to leave here and move with me" she turns around eyes watery. Every time I see her like this, feels like my heart is stabbed repeatedly and very deeply by a sharp knife. She's one the strongest woman I know in this world seeing my mother being like this, kills me.

"We'll talk about it when he gets here. He'll be home soon" she informs me turning around again as if she's sure with her answer. Well, we both know he's probably not gonna come home sober.

"Let's just check it out after we eat" I suggest as she turn around, plate in hand with food that she cooked placing it in the table before sitting across from me, frowning and sighing. I chose to change the subject in attempt to take that damn frown away from her face.

"I'm gonna visit Ma'am Michelle Parker tomorrow. Can you still remember her?" I asks as I take a bite of the delicious food she me made.

"Uh-huh" she nods taking a bite too.

"Do you wanna come with me?" I offer. Ma'am Michelle and Mom are quite good friends for ma'am Michelle finds me a very charming and intelligent kid as well as my best friends Faith, Amber, and Marie. I wonder if they received a letter too.

"Where does she live?" She asks taking another bite. I chew and swallow the food faster so I can answer her immediately.

"She doesn't have any children so her sister Monique got her into the home for the aged" I inform her. Sometimes I find myself thinking the possibilities that I will exactly end up like ma'am Michelle being single. It scares me for I will be alone for the rest of my life because let's face the real facts here, our parents won't be with us all the time. And that time will be the darkest time in my whole life. I fear that time the most.

"We'll see" she answers drinking the glass of water placed beside her plate on the table.

A few moments of silence, I could read her mind thinking about Dad again. If she moves in with me to the apartment, I will talk to Dad and convince him to go to rehabilitation for mom and for himself. I hope it'll go well as I think it will.

"Ma please think about the apartment thing please" I beg her looking into her but she refuses to look into my eyes.

"James..." she starts lips trembling. Not this again.

"Ma please stop" I shake my head "I can't handle Dad being drunk anymore. It's too much Ma. I'm already 30" I stand up and walk towards the dishwasher empty plate in hand.

"I'm sorry" her voice cracks. Damn it.

"No I'm sorry for pushing you like that" I sit beside her. "It's just... I don't want you to get beaten up by Dad again." I try to explain hoping she won't cry anymore.

"I know" she breaths then drinks the glass of water in the table.

"Please for your own sake and mine let's move out of here" I beg her once more. I know it's hard for her to leave the house but I don't know what could possibly happen next when Dad comes home drunk again. I will not be able to control my anger towards him when he lays a hand on my mother.

"Okay" she agrees surprising me. For the first time since last night I can finally breath properly.

"Then pack your bags after you eat" I inform her happily.

I can't help my excitement to finally leave this house. Not that I hate it here. Iove this place despite the dark memories I have here during my childhood but I grew up here and this will forveer be my home.

If Dad comes back here drunk again, I can't take it anymore. I don't wanna fight back even though I know I'll probably just end up dead and I don't want mom to witness that. I'll try to talk to Dad alone and he has to be sober.

While mom is washing the dishes, I decided to tell her about how perfect the apartment is to let her know how excited and happy I am. Mom knows about me being different or being gay to be specific. I remember my old best friend of mine who's name is Faith and now a Pastor at boston. I don't want her to think differently of me when we sew each other one day. I believe that being gay isn't a sin. Is it so wrong to have romantic feelings toward someone in the same sex as yours? I finally admit I am gay and I can't sometimes help myself being attracted to my students and that's what I'm afraid of the most. I'm thankful to my mom for she accepts me to what I really am.

After telling her about the apartment, she seems to be happy to see my excitement. She packs her things and I help her. I happily drove to the apartment at exactly three thirty in the afternoon. I called Robert, and sign the papers. The moment he gives me the keys, I feel so different, free, and safe away from my drunk of a father. Mom didn't say much about the apartment but it'll take her time to adjust.

After I'll visit Miss Parker tomorrow, I'll go find dad and talk about the rehabilitation camp that I've been planning for him to go. I'm not entirely sure how will he react about this but I hope it goes well for mom's sake and his and if he isn't selfish enough, for my sake too.