Before the Vault

About 3 months had passed since since Barnaby and Lana had become allies. Rowan still didn't like Barnaby that much, but she tolerated him because he was part of their group now. Lana, Rowan, Barnaby, Bill and Tulip were sat in the library discussing the best way to break into the library the next night.

"So, Rowan. You distract Pince whilst Barnaby, Tulip and I keep watch in case any teachers come." Lana went over the plan.

"Yep! I'll figure something out tonight that'll really work." she smiled.

"Barnaby?" Bill asked the boy, who was staring at Lana as she told everyone they're jobs, admiring her as she spoke.

"Oi, Lee!" Tulip said loudly, earning a shush from Madam Pince.

Barnaby snapped back to reality, being greeted with Lana's face, smirking at him as he looked around cluelessly.

"You ok, Barnaby?" she asked him with a smile.

"Hmm? Oh..yeah I'm great how are you?" he tried playing it off cool.

"I'm fine." she chuckled, "Let's get back to focusing, yeah?" she joked.

"Of course, yeah...sorry" he laugh awkwardly.

"So, Barnaby." Tulip started, "You're job is to fight off Merula if she happens to interfere with us, got it?"

"Yeah I think so. That sounds easy enough to remember!" he laughed, making everyone else laugh, except Rowan, who just glared at him in annoyance.

"Sooo...when are we doing this?" he asked, making everyone groan, as that was what they'd just been discussing.

"Tomorrow night at 8; you guys all meet outside the library, ok?" Bill told him, as he wasn't joining them.

"Ohhh...ok then!" he replied with a smile.

"Honestly, Barnaby, why can't you understand simple instructions?!" Rowan said, a little louder than she thought, meaning everyone heard it.

Barnaby looked down, frowning. Lana spoke up before anyone else could say anything, defending the boy next to her.

"Rowan," she said firmly, "just remember that Barnaby is just as capable as you in this mission. He's got something that no one else here has, so it doesn't matter if he understands straight away, what matters is that he's there tomorrow night, and ready to help us." she finished, looking her straight in the eye, before she was stopped and felt warm all of a sudden.

Barnaby had wrapped a strong arm around her, pulling her into a side hug, smiling.

"Thanks, Lana." he said quietly, smiling, then kissed the top of her head and let her go.

Lana looked at him with a supportive wink, blushing from when he kissed her, but smiling sweetly.

"So it's decided then - we meet at the library tomorrow night at 8." Tulip confirmed, everyone nodding in response.

They all left the library, ready for the moment they would break into the Restricted Section to find the next Cursed Vault.

so this is just a fill-in for the next chapter which is probably gonna be another thicc one btw :))
also I changed the cover to a cute lil baby bowtruckle cause Barnaby loves em :)
so thank you so much for reading and see you in the next one !!
byeee <3