Chapter 6

It's quiet. A sweet smell tickles your nose. The sun warms your cheek, and a breeze shuffles your hair.

Someone breathes heavily by your side. You don't stir, feel too sick, and your knees hurt.

"Why didn't you open one sooner?" whispers Lars.

You keep quiet. The warm stone soothes your back.

"A portal, I mean..." He sniffs.

"Fine." You groan and rub circles against your throbbing head. "I have no idea how I do that. We clearly need to figure that one out."

Lars chokes on his breath. He jerks up and crawls closer to your head. "W-we?" His face hovers over yours. Wide-eyed. He blushes up to his ears.

Uh? What have you just gotten yourself into? You sigh, "We," and prop yourself up on your elbows. Red grass. A few trees with red leaves further ahead. Weird. "Why suddenly worked up about it?"

Lars looks away and tumbles back. "Y-you've never said we before," he whispers at his hands, and you almost miss that.

You shrug because, well, what's the big deal? Does it make your friends? No idea, you didn't have many in your parallel. Feels like that was an eternity ago, or in another life. Come to think about it, you don't know much about Lars before the card. Sure, he rambled a lot about his planet, and family, and that Magicks academy. About himself? Nothing.

You glance his way, but Lars still fiddles with his fingers. "You won't leave m-me? Please, don't leave me behind."

This is even weirder. You shrug and sit up.

A cliff.

"Well, I'm not leaving you stranded somewhere out there

"Well, I'm not leaving you stranded somewhere out there." You sound casual, but your eyes are locked on the bottomless pit. Small pebbles clatter and disappear in the mist below. "I'm supposed to return you to your cousin."

Lars nods.

You climb off the stone and settle on the red grass instead. Better not go near that cliff.

Lars sits across from you. "The Magician said, each card has a special gesture that activates their power."

"Uh..." You raise your hands to your eyes and look them over. So what did you do? Panicked and whirled them around. Which is stupid. "What's yours?"