Chapter 4

The man with the blond braid stares at you, Lars and Alice, then takes in the number of plush toys, bright paper chains and all the snacks... You stare back. Kinda. Did she really call...? Is that their relationship? What are you even supposed to do!? A-a-ah!

"I have to go!" exclaims the Black Emperor, and you all snap out of it. "Too busy," he blurts out, dumps the tied up birds next to Alice and shoves you the snacks, "being evil... and stuff. Part of a plan, bending in, part of the plan. It was nice seeing you around, Theodo–" And the Black Emperor puffs away.

Photo via NBC4 WCMH-TV 2020 :Ohio State Fair

You look at the spot where he stood and watch the black glower settle.

"There he is!" Alice points across the square, and you all turn.

The Black Emperor hastily waves back and teleports more rows away.

Alice stomps, and her ribbons hiss and flutter a little off her wrists. "Papa!" She runs into the crowd and after him.

The Black Emperor teleports again.

The man follows him with his eyes all the way out. He cranes his neck to see as the Black Emperor pops up on the other side of the square.

"World?" Lars squeezes your hand.

"Long story short," you whisper back and lean down to his ear. "That's the guy the Black Emperor liked. Or likes. Liked?"

Lars pokes his head out from behind you and looks at the man. Probably for the first time, he didn't see much of him before. A-and the man turns on his heels and strides off.

You watch his back. He looks agitated, doesn't he?

"Wa– Lars!?"

He slips his hand out of yours and dashes around you and after the man.

"Lars!" you follow.

"Please wait up, s-sir!" he calls out.

The man won't stop. Instead, he cuts the corner and forces his way through the crowd. Lars ducks and easily follows him.

"It's more complicated than that!" you shout and struggle to keep up. Whatever he's thinking. "Lars!"

You roll out... at the entrance. Whirl you head around and spot the man leaving the fair with Lars on his heels.

"Lars!" You.

"Lars!?" The... King of Wands and Swords!? What's he doing here? "You!"

You jump back... and get out of his way? The King doesn't notice you, he runs past and cuts in between Lars and that man. So it's really isn't about you, but how anyone annoys the King, huh?

"What are you up to again?" The King ushers Lars further behind his back and crosses his arms over his chest. He's wearing the huge spiky crown this time and his full purple and silver fancy attire minus the cape.