Chapter 3

You might want to take that back. Alice drags you onto. Any. Ride. There. Is.

Photo via NDR

Photo via NDR.de: Hamburger Dom

"A-a-ah!" you yell and clutch the handrail.

"Yay!" cheers Alice.

Lars laughs.

Actually, this is surprisingly fun. Or you're just glad to be off yet another train.

"Hey, World, let's try that one next!" Lars beams and tugs on your sleeve. He points at a tent with prizes.

Photo via Wikipedia, Creator: Picasa 3

Photo via Wikipedia, Creator: Picasa 3.0

Alice tsk-s and crosses her arms over her chest. She's chosen every one you went on before. "I suppose." She purses her lips, and yet her ribbons give her away. The tips slip off and flutter.

"Welcome! Welcome!" shouts the owner as you approach.

You throw several small balls at the cans but miss. Lars tries tossing a larger one inside a bucket, and Alice teeters from behind.

"Idiots," she snickers, brushes past you – ouch, that was your foot! – and flexes her arms. "I'll show you how it's done."

"You think it's easy?" you snap.

"I'll show you it's easy." She slams a string of pink coupons on the counter. "Hey, you, give me five."

"S-sorry," mumbles Lars, and the owner dismisses it with a wave.

Alice's ribbons coil and spread out on the counter, and yet dart back and wrap around her arms before the owner turns around.

Bam! Bam!

One. Two. Bam! Three. Bam! Four?! Wow, who'd think Alice is a good shot?

She laughs and puts her arms on her sides. "Five more!"

The owner picks up the balls and slowly hands them over the counter. One by one, he places a ball in Alice's hand, and she dunks them into the special holder. Oh. He's looking her up and down, perhaps, thought the ribbons were a mask but now clearly sees how they entirely cover her eyes.