Chapter 12

"Oh-how," laughs Maze as everything in front of your eyes blurs and grows dark. "This is personal."

You clench your teeth and reach further. And further, until your fingers graze the edge of your own card. Your arm's up to the elbow inside your chest. Just looking down makes you sick. You grasp the card and pull it out. It glows, the edges look more solid, and in the middle, a shimmer traces out the circle.

You... let go. Maze said three, means he still has only one card. You won't let him have Lars's and Alice's.

The World's card floats up and hovers between you and Maze.

via Amazon.com: The World Tarot Card Fortune Telling

"Do you even know the rules?" Maze draws out and smirks. "Well, I accept anyway." He laughs, digs inside his chest and tosses up his own card. It floats next to yours and slowly rotates in the other direction. "The little Magician is done for, he will have to wait."

The Magician card shots back inside Lars's chest.

"Three cards are always safer than two," drawls out Maze. "Four, however weak number four is, are always safer than three. Even if the World is the last one on the major arcana."

The duel. You've somehow talked the Black Emperor into mentioning the rules, and yet it's the only way you can think of to keep Maze away from Lars. The breeze blows your way, and the heather parts.

"World?" Alice shakes but raises on her hands. Her ribbons are soaked, and tears stream down her face. "What– why–?" She chokes and breaks into a cough. It shakes her whole body, and Alice crumbles back on the ground.

A glassy force field draws a circle around you and Maze. Your cards float in the middle, and the barrier grows to them to form a bubble. It leaves out both Lars and Alice. You tap the almost invisible wall – solid – and it snaps your fingers.

Maze can't get out, so the duel will keep him away.

Not reversed. The trumpet on his card glowers bronze.

You watch the bubble close up. You can't get out either. The wreath on your card shimmers. If you win, you take both... Well, if you don't, then you don't.

"Well-well, this shall be easy." Maze chuckles and steps under the floating cards. "I know everything about you." He glances up and then smirks at you.

Only one of you can leave the bubble. His sweet swampy smell and brown eyes without irises creep under your skin.

"I have been dying to teach you a lesson." Maze sneers. Three fingers up, pinky, pain, darkness–

It strikes you in the chest and knocks out all air. You tumble back... and fall. Fly through the ground and keep falling, and falling. The nothingness licks your skin and crawls under your clothes. You close your eyes.