Chapter Diecisiete

Noah's POV (ooh!)

After Shayne and Courtney calmed down, Ian explained the rules. A little complicated, but I had an easy job. I was versing Joven for the limited amount of running and task completion, so we should be ok, right?

Anyways, Joven and I were readied at the starting line, eyeing up each other and our teammates dotted around the office. Tommy strutted next to me, wearing his referee get up from the Reese's Trick Shot video, holding a whistle in his hand. I had a red baton handed to me, Joven a blue one, as Tommy counted us in.

"On your marks, get set...Ruffalo!" he yelled, blowing his whistle. I was off, rounding the corner to be met with my task. Throwing Keith the baton, I started up on replicating the Rubik's cube pattern on the board in front of me.

"Noah and Joven must complete a round of the classic speed-based game, Rubik's Race!" Tommy commentated.

Joven hot on my heels, Mari and Keith raring to go, I yelled "Done!" to which Keith set off and Mari started shrieking at Joven to 'Hurry the fuck up, bitch!'. Like I said, easy job for me, a little running and a round of Rubik's Race. As I was told to stay in place, I trained my eyes on Keith as he reached his station, closely followed by Mari.

Mari's POV (I'm really mixing shit up!)

As I reached the table, I handed the blue baton to Lasercorn, starting on the fruit in front of me.

"A lemon, a lime and an orange to peel. How very creative!" Tommy laughed, following us to our 'stations'.

As Keith finished up on his second fruit, Courtney tapping the table with her baton, I ripped the orange up with my fake nails. Finally, an advantage of acrylics that I never usually get. Working fast, I threw the peel of my third and final fruit aside, watching Lasercorn dart off round the corner. Courtney soon sprinted away, but as she reached her table, I saw her fall.

Courtney's POV (full circle)

"Ow! Shit, fuck!" I yelled, as I rolled my ankle and fell to the floor. Wes was given the baton and Lasercorn got a head start. No sooner had he picked up the beanbag, was he told to stop cheating and wait for me to get up. I tried putting pressure on my foot, but I received nothing but repetitive, agonising shots of pain striking up my leg. Preparing to give up and crawl, I felt strong arms pull me up from behind. Shayne had hooked his arms under mine and was walking me to the table. As we got there, I handed him the baton, grabbed a beanbag and hurled it at the vending machine. Missing twice, I saw Lasercorn dash to grab a bag of chips he'd gotten out. Finally hitting the keypad correctly, Shayne darted to get the snack for me, proceeding to throw me a KitKat. I finished fairly quickly, before Lasercorn could scarf down his chips, meaning Shayne could make his way to his task.

We. Are. Winning. This. Shit.

Shayne's POV

Slamming down the baton for Olivia, knowing what I had to do, and hearing Wes bound up to the laptop next to me, I got to work on opening the photos file.

"Shayne and Wes must print out a picture of me using a laptop from 1982," Tommy explained. I clicked print on a photo of Tommy dressed as the Easter Bunny, I told Olivia to go.

"Surprise Twist!" Matt yelled, as both Damien and Olivia were cut off in their tracks by fire extinguishers.

"Shit!" I heard Olivia mutter, pulling her jacket up to cover the side of her face, Damien panicking for a second before doing the same. Ripping the pictures from the printers, the two crossed the finish line. At the same time. I could see the surprise on everyone's faces as Ian and Sarah worked out what to do.

"In an unexpected turn of events, all players must reach the finish line for the win to count!" Sarah said, waving her hands for Wes and I to run. I was about to follow in Wes' path, but I heard a shriek from behind me. Courtney had fallen again. Racing back to her, watching as Lasercorn set off, I pulled her up.

"Get on my back," I urged her, to which she just stared at me.

"What?" she asked.

"Get on! We're gonna win, we have to," I ushered her, spinning around and nodding at Noah and Keith as if to say 'I got this'. Courtney hopped on my back effortlessly and she yelled as I charged passed Mari, who thought she had a head start on us. Running around the fire extinguisher mess, we got shocked looks as I picked up the pace, Court clinging onto my shirt, her arms wrapped tightly around my neck. Almost there...we can make it before Joven...Noah, Keith and Olivia cheering us on...Wes, Mari, Lasercorn and Damien shrieking at Joven...and...we're there! We won!

Courtney's POV (back again)

Shayne spun around in excitement, causing me to hold on tighter, my chin resting in the nook of his neck.

"We won, we did it, Shayne," I sung in his ear. He dropped me to the floor gently, and spun me to stand on one foot in front of him, holding onto my shoulders so I didn't fall.

"Of course we did, we've got you on our team," he smiled.

"Awww, but you were the real hero, you helped me," I smiled back, booping his nose.

"Well duh, any decent human being would and I wasn't gonna let Lasercorn or Joven win something," he laughed. I laughed too, until realisation hit me.

"Shayne...Shayne, we won the Jimmy Jabs!" I shrieked, hopping up and down, hitting his shoulder in pure joy.

"Oh my fuck! We did! Hell yeah, good game, Santiago," he smirked, holding out his hand.

"Yeah, good game, Peralta, I like your style," I grinned, shaking his hand before bursting out with laughter.

We celebrated for what felt like hours, but was probably just ten minutes of laughing and gloating. It feels so good to win, I can't wait for competition five, or, as Ian calls it, 'Dorty Dancing and Shit!'.
Wait...w-w-w-wait. My ankle. I rolled my ankle. I can't bail on Shayne or the team, but what do I do if I can't dance? We've worked hard on that routine, and even if it still needs practice, I'm proud of how far he's come in less than two days. Oh shit...looks like we've hit a problem.

(A/N)

I love this chapter! I mean, it has a few Brooklyn Nine Nine references so obviously I'm proud. Clearly this was inspired by The Jimmy Jabs, a season two episode of b99, but more specifically, the last competition race thingy Jake and Amy do, so yeah. Also, thank you for the inspiration from @-TELEPHANTASM-  , although it may not seem like it, your suggestion of a 100m sprint was the start of this chapter, so thank you. And thanks everyone for over 2.5k reads on this story, and for Señorita reaching #1 on Shourtney!

5k reads on this story, and for Señorita reaching #1 on Shourtney!

It was there, whether it is now or not, I don't know. But, anywhoozles, I hope you liked, vote and comment if you did! Thanks so much, again. Peace out suckers!

Kitty x