Unexpected

Samuel chatted about anything and everything during our drive back home. His mouth didn't stop moving during the whole drive. I guess I was able to assure him not to feel so insecure about his inexperience around me. It felt good to feel trusted by the person I almost sorta maybe had a crush on.

At some point he started going on and on about how he's never been skinny dipping, at this point I was interested enough to butt in.

"You've never been skinny dipping? That's absurd!" I said horrified. A person who has never been skinny dipping has never truly lived.

"It's not a big deal" he argues back.

"It is!" I say quickly in response.

"Guess you'll just have to take me skinny dipping then" he says simply. I was shocked to the point I couldn't form a response.

Skinny dipping with Samuel? That sounded like an absolute fantasy.

"We definitely should some day" I said nonchalantly. Samuel just chuckled softly.

"You seem like the type to skinny dip" he says amused.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked incredulously.

"Oh nothing" he said while laughing to himself. I decided it was best to just pout rather than fight him for a response.

"Are you really pouting? You're ridiculous sometimes" he says laughing.

"I am not!" I argued back. He just rolled his eyes.

"Sure" he says sarcastically. This time it's my turn to roll my eyes.

"Oh my house is that way" he says pointing to our left. As if I could forget where he lives. I've practically burned the image of his house into my brain.

"I know" I say.

"You've got a good memory" he says impressed. Only for you Samuel.

"I'll see you later yeah?" I ask. He just nods.

"I've gotta go now though, I'm meeting up with a friend" he says.

"You have friends?" I ask confused. He looks over at me looking genuinely offended.

"You aren't serious are you?" He says almost jokingly.

"I've never seen you hang out with anyone at school" I say in defense.

"I have two best friends, River and Tanya" he says.

"Never heard of em" I mumble. I don't like the thought that he's got best friends. I hate how jealous I feel.

"Of course you haven't" he says rolling his eyes. That hurt a little.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I snap. He flinches at my tone.

"Oh. I didn't mean it in a bad way" he says almost in a rush. I can't help but think he's lying.

"Are you saying I'm self-obsessed? Or are you saying I don't care about others?" I ask him seriously.

"You sure like to put words in my mouth" he says amused. I pout and force my eyes onto my lap.

I don't want him to think negatively of me. I wish I were one of his best friends. I have no doubt that in his mind I'm just Claire's ex-boyfriend that he pities. He probably just thinks I'm some sort of pest.

I clutch my hands together tightly in frustration. It feels hot and uncomfortable to think someone I think so highly of would think so lowly of me.

"All I meant is that we don't spend a lot of time together in school, so how would you even know who my friends are?" He clarifies.

"Oh" I say dumbly. He just laughs and suddenly his hand is extended as he pats my shoulder.