Goodbye

Everyone is in the choir room. Rachel, Kurt, Mercedes, Tina, and Artie just got done performing "Sit Down, You're Rockin' The Boat." At the end, everyone cheers.

Santana: That was the most ghetto number I have ever seen.

Artie: Then just call me George Jefferson, because we went from the ghetto to the penthouse. National champs, baby!

****

Santana is walking down the hallway. She runs into a bunch of balloons that are outside of Mercedes locker and Mercedes and Sam are there.

Santana: What is this crap?

Sam: Oh, didn't you hear? Mercedes got a recording contract. She's moving to Hollywood and she's gonna be a superstar by Christmas, guaranteed.

Mercedes: He's exaggerating. You remember that video that he posted of me on YouTube, singing "Disco Inferno"?

Santana nods.

Sam: Well, this music producer in L.A. saw it and he wants to sign her.

Mercedes: As a backup singer on an indie label. I'm gonna be taking extension classes at UCLA.

Santana: If this was happening to anyone else, I would be extremely jealous. This is really cool. Congratulations.

Mercedes: Thank you.

They hug. Mercedes turns to Sam.

Mercedes: And I couldn't have done it without you.

Sam smiles and turns to Santana.

Sam: Oh, did you hear about Mike?

The scene cuts to Mike and Tina talking to Santana.

Mike: I was all set to go to Alvin Ailey, and then Joffrey in Chicago offered me a scholarship.

Santana: Oh, Mike, that's amazing. Congratulations.

They quickly hug.

Tina: You must be so excited to ditch that Cheerios uniform and put on the one for University of Louisville.

Santana: Yeah, I... I can't wait.

Santana awkwardly laughs and starts walking down the hallway.

Santana: *voiceover* This is embarrassing. I'm a star, so what am I doing heading to Kentucky? I'm just as talented as Mercedes, Boy Chang, Berry or Lady Hummel. Thank God for Mom. She'll know what to do.

****

Santana and Brittany are at Breadstix with Santana's mom, Maribel.

Maribel: When Santana finally said, "Mami, papi, I'm gay," all I could think of was, I should have known. When she was eight, she went trick-or-treating as Uncle Jesse on Full House. Spent two years growing out that hair. "Business in the front..."

Santana and Maribel: "Party in the back."

Brittany: Ew.

They all laugh.

Brittany: So, you just really didn't care?

Maribel: I care that my baby's happy.

Santana: I wish abuela felt the same.

Maribel: I know. It sucks, mija. But you don't want a person in your life that doesn't support your dreams.

Santana: I don't want to go to that cheerleading program at the University of Louisville. I want to go to New York.

Maribel: Go to college, Santana. Do what I never got the chance to do. New York will still be there after you've earned your college degree. Brittany, I understand you got into Purdue University?

Brittany: Not the university; the poultry farm. Plucker is a steady profession. But I can't go to either 'cause I'm not graduating.

Santana: What?

Brittany: Yeah. I was kind of glad when I found out that I was flunking because it'll give me a chance to do my senior year all over again. And way better. I'll show up to my classes this time. Plus, I'll get to be a two-term senior class president.

Santana: Why are you pretending that this is okay? And why didn't you tell me?

Brittany: What did you think was going to happen to me? I have a 0.0 grade point average.

Santana: Well, maybe if Brittany's staying in Lima, then I should stay, too.

Maribel gives Santana a disapproving look.

****

Santana is cleaning out her locker. Her mom, Maribel, walks up to her.

Maribel: Come on. You're gonna be late to your own graduation celebration.

Santana: It's a dinner with you and Dad.

Maribel: I got a pinata.

Santana slightly laughs and continues to clean out her locker.

Maribel: You don't want to keep any of this?

Santana: Nope. I don't want to be one of those people who thinks that if they have a keepsake of someone they care about, they don't have to actually see them.

Maribel pulls out an envelope with a bow on it from her bag.

Maribel: Your graduation present.

Santana grabs it and starts to open it.

Maribel: I was gonna put it in the pinata, but your dad thought this was more elegant.

Santana opens it and looks at it, and it's money.

Santana: Okay, hold up. Have you had this money the whole time? Why aren't you driving a Lexus?

Maribel: I'm not driving a Lexus because, for the past 18 years, I've been saving all my extra change, tax rebates and Christmas bonuses so I could help you pay for college.

Santana: But I got a scholarship.

Maribel: If you could've told me that 18 years ago, I would've bought more shoes.

Santana slightly laughs.

Santana: You know what, keep it then. Go on a trip with Dad or something. I don't need it. I told you, I don't want to go to college.

Maribel: Then use it to go to New York. I trust you. I trust your dreams and your talent. And I pity anyone who tries to get in your way.

Santana: Are you serious?

They hug tightly.

Maribel: I would love for you to go to college...

They pull away.

Maribel: ...but it's not my choice. This is your first moment of adulthood, mi amor. From now on, it's up to you.