Chapter 23

When I get to Mike's house I notice his car is in the driveway. The lights are out. It's almost two in the morning. I search the road for a couple small pebbles and toss them up towards his window. They hit with light tapping sounds. I wait for a minute. I'm searching for more pebbles when I hear the door open. "Carly," Mike whispers. "What are you doing here," he asks coming down to the sidewalk where I am standing. "Is everything alright," he asks concern in his voice.

"No its not," I hiss when he's standing close enough to me. "I heard something tonight and I need you to be honest with me," I say trying to keep my voice from breaking. Standing there in the dark with Mike is harder than I thought it would be. All of my feelings for him are surfacing. I loved him for so long it's hard not to still feel that way about him. He's so familiar to me. I know deep down I love him. Maybe not with the same intensity. Or even in the same way as before, but it's still love. My heart is breaking all over again just standing there with him.

He reaches out to touch my hand. I slap it away. "Did you," I start and then stop. I'm not sure what to say. How do you ask someone something so bizarre. "Carly you're worrying me. What on earth has you standing outside my house at two in the morning in the freezing cold," he asks reaching once again for my hand. I step back this time. "Eric told me you made it clear I was off limit to other guys at West Riverside," I blurt out. He stands there looking at me. He doesn't say anything. "Is it true," I ask as I feel the tears start sliding down my cheeks.

"It's complicated Carly," he says grabbing at me as I start backing away from him. "Complicated.  It's either you did it or you didn't Mike," I cry out. Mike's lack of denial tells me all I need to know.  "You did."  I pause.  "Why would you do something so horrible?  It totally fucked up my life," I cry out. My voice is louder than I expected. "Let me explain," he says grabbing my left wrist. "Don't fucking touch me," I scream pulling away and running to my car. He follows, but I am locked inside before he can stop me. I hit the gas and screech off down the road. I can feel the tears falling freely down my face. I wonder what the fuck I ever did to him to make him do something like that.

I pull up to my apartment and realize I am still crying. Now I'm just mad. I'm mad that I let Mike get to me. I'm mad that it hurts so much. I'm so mad I can't even see straight. I climb out of the car sobbing. I can't get the key into the front door. I try and try with no luck. I sink to the ground drowning in my sobs. I feel someone crouch next to me and wrap me in their arms. I don't have to look to know its Adam. I sink into him and cry.

After some time, he whispers "Give me your keys." I hand him my keys and he scoops me up into his arms. He slides the key into the lock and opens the door easily. He opens all the doors carrying me gently in his arms. Once inside my apartment he carries me to my room and lays me down on the bed. I slip out of my clothes and crawl under the covers exhausted. I don't care that Adam just saw me in my bra and underwear. I just don't care about anything at the moment. Adam lies down next to me on top of the covers. He gently combs his fingers through my hair. I find it soothing and fall asleep.

A knock at my door wakes me. Adam is no longer lying next to me. I roll over and look at the clock. It's six in the morning. I sit up and gather myself together. Realizing I'm only in my bra and underwear I find my robe and slip into it. I stop inside my bedroom door when I hear two male voices. "I'm telling you to leave. Don't make me say it one more time," Adam says sounding really pissed. "I'm telling you that I'm not leaving until I talk to Carly," says another voice I recognize as Mikes. "I don't know what the fuck went down with the two of you last night, but I know it wasn't good. You need to get the fuck out of here. Carly knows where to find you if she wants to see or talk to you," Adam argues. "This isn't any of your business. This is between Carly and me. You're the one that needs to back off," Mike argues back.