Chapter 28

I pull up at Ted and Donna's house with Nat, Ava and Janae. It's a beautiful April day. Donna is taking us shopping for prom dresses. When I realized how much it would mean to her to help me pick out a dress I couldn't say no. Funny thing is when I told Donna that Adam had asked me she was really excited and asked if I knew where I wanted to look for a dress. She then mentioned several shops she thought had beautiful dresses. When I told her I had no idea where they were, she offered to take us all. 

We leave my car and pile into the mini van. Olivia is beyond excited. It took several minutes to peel her off each of my friends and get her into the van. The first shop we stop at is a small boutique in an outside mini mall. "What about this one Carly," Olivia says showing me another dress. I smile at her say "It's very pretty. I'm going to look some more before making a decision." I feel like I know the dress when I see it. Or at least I hope I will since I have no clue what I'm looking for. We all try on several dresses but decide to try another shop.

At the second shop Janae found a very light tan lace dress that looks fantastic on her figure. The neckline was a deep V. It was in her price range so she decided her shopping was done and purchased it. Stop number three is hit for both Nat and Ava. Nat found a backless powder blue satin dress that looked perfect on her. The waist was a mesh floral patterned decorated with rhinestones.  Her tall thin figure was made for it. Ava decided on a beautiful red dress. The top was patterned with small pearls giving it a silver look. A pearl waste band separated the top from the bottom.    

All eyes were on me.  I was the only one who hadn't found my dress. I didn't tell anyone I googled Nikki early this morning to find the picture of her and Adam from prom last year. The last thing I wanted was a dress that would remind Adam of her. She had been wearing a dress similar to the one Nat bought but in a more vibrant blue. My goal was to find something very different. "What about this one Carly," came Olivia's voice from somewhere unseen. I turn as she's walking towards me with my yes dress. I know the minute I see it. "Where did you find it," I ask her. She points towards the back and runs off. I follow her back to a rack of dresses that haven't made it to the floor yet.

There on the rack I locate my size and hold it to me. This is the dress. "Olivia you found it. It's just what I've been looking for." I take the dress and hurry to the fitting room. Inside I rip off my clothes and slid into the dress. I look into the mirror and smile. The dress is a deep burgundy. It's listed as color wine on the tag. It's a tiered ruffled high-low skirt so you can see my legs all the way up past my knees. The top is a sleek halter-neck design with an accented lace bodice. With my dark skin and hair it looks stunning on me.   

I make my way out to where the girls are talking with Donna. "I think this is it," I say as they all turn my way. Donna gasps. "Oh Carly it's perfect. You look so beautiful," she says tearing up. "I found it," Olivia says proudly. "Good job Olivia," Nat say motioning for me to do a spin. I spin and they all agree it's the perfect dress for me. I make my way back to the changing room and look at myself in the mirror one last time. I found a beautiful dress that looks nothing like what Nikki wore to prom last year. I smile as slip out of the dress and put my clothes back on.

It was a sunny Saturday in May and Nat, Ava, Janae and I were getting ready at my apartment for prom. The parents had chipped in for a limousine. The limo was going to pick us girls up at my apartment and Marcus, TJ and Adam at Adam's house. We were going to meet Donnie, Laura and Carlos at the park along with the parents for pictures. Ava had decided to go to prom with Carlos as friends. The only way Adam would agree to it was if Carlos met us at the park and then rode in the limo with us. He wasn't happy about Carlos riding in the limo with us but didn't want Ava in a car alone with him. We all thought it was ridiculous, but respected Adam's wishes.

The limo arrived and drove to Adam's.  Ava called Adam and the guys were waiting outside when we arrived.  Adam's grandma had already left for the park.  We wanted the parents to catch the surprise on the guys faces when they saw us for the first time so we bought sleep masks for them to put on for the ride.  It was fun teasing them along the way.  We played guess who's touch.  We would each take turns touching the guys and they would guess who it was.  We also played guess who's feet which cause a lot of laughs.

When we arrived at the park, the guys got out first.  We did a bachelorette type reveal.  The parents all got ready for each of us to take turns coming out of the limo and captured the guys reaction on camera.  Nat and Marcus had to play it cool.  They told the McKay's they were just going together with their friends.  So when it came time for Nat's reveal Marcus had to keep his emotions in check.  My reveal was last.  When I stepped out of the limo, Adam's eye nearly bugged out of his head.  He watched as I walked to him, grabbing his heart.  "Damn bad ass," was all he could manage to say.

We did the corsages at the park.  Spent over a half hour taking pictures.  Pictures as couples, picture with just the girls, just the guys and as couples.  Adam even took pictures next to Carlos without complaint.  Once the parents were satisfied with the pictures, we got in the limo and headed to the hotel where the prom was being held.  "You look incredible Carly," Donna said with tears in her eyes.  "Have fun sweetheart."  I gave her a quick hug before climbing into the limo.

When I entered the hotel ballroom it took my breath away.  Our theme was starry night.  The room was lite up in a blue light with white lights twinkling like stars in a night sky.  Balloons making up fluffy clouds.  A half moon lighting up the fake night sky.  Each table was decorated with lantern candles surrounded by silver glitter tree like twigs.  Lighted cut outs of shooting stars and lighted trees throughout the ballroom.  I turn to Adam and say "It's so beautiful."  Adam captures my hand and spins me to him.  "Yes it is," he says looking at me.  I smile at him.  "I was talking about the room."  He places a soft kiss on my lips and says "I know and I was talking about you."

We make our way over to where they have a huge star set up for pictures.  You can either stand inside the star, behind it or in front of it.  We all take turns as couples before forming a group.  The photographer tells us all the photo's will be available on our school website in about a week We make our way to table sixteen.  Ava makes sure to choose a seat far enough away from Adam.  I have to admit Carlos looks really handsome in his tux.  We deposit our purses and while the guys go for drinks the girls decide to take a walk around the room.

"You and Carlos look nice together," I tell Ava as we walk.  She smiles at me.  "He's super cute, but I'm not into him."  I try to hide my disappointment.  I want Carlos to find a nice girl and Ava to find someone also.  It would be awesome if they found each other.  "It is nice when you find that person," Laura chimes in.  "I'm so lucky to have Donnie."  I can't help but notice she's looking at me when she says it.  I ignore her.  After a sweep of the room and a lot of appreciation for the decorations we make our way back to the table. 

Adams hurries to pull out my chair for me when we get back to the table.  I reward him with a kiss.  The night passes by in a blur.  We spend most of our time dancing.  A slow song comes on and Adam pulls me to him.  His eyes burning into mine.  "I can't wait to get you back to your place and remove that sexy dress," he whispers in my ear.  "I love you Carly.  You make me so happy."  I smile.  "I love you to.  I'm so grateful you came into my life."  He takes on a serious look.  "Not as grateful as I am you came into mine.  I was in such a bad place.  You pulled me out of it.  Thank you," he says.  "Happy to help," I tell him as I pull him down for a kiss.  The kiss turns heated and when the song ends we're still kissing.

It was a magical night.  The limo drops us off first.  The rest of the gang are going to a hotel for the night.  Even Ava and Carlos got a room.  Ava insisted it was just to hang out and party in.  There would be no extra circular activities happen.  I still had hope.  We said good and hurried upstairs to my apartment.  We could have gotten a room with the others, but Adam and I just wanted to be alone.  When he peeled off my dress and gave me that look I knew we had made the right choice.  We spent all night proving it.