Chances - Justin de Dios

"Estrella." 

Lumingon ako sa nagsalita, it was one of his bestfriends—Sejun. I sadly smiled at him as he approached me, he smiled back sadly as well. Tulad ko ay itim din ang suot niya mula ulo hanggang paa. May bitbit din siyang isang medium sized box  na kulay beige which actually looked familiar. 

I think it was Justin's favorite secret box. There was never a moment that he let me touch it. He treasured it like a baby, like it was his greatest possession. 

"Sej, why are you still here? Akala ko umalis na kayo nila Stell," sabi ko my stare lasting longer on the box he was holding. 

Nang makalapit siya sa akin ay inilapag niya ang box sa tabi ko. He was standing beside me while I was sitting in an unlady-like manner on the well-trimmed grass.

"You know, Justin would surely nag the hell out of you if he finds out that you're sitting like that in your dress," medyo nagbibirong sabi ni Sejun. 

I just looked down and fixed my sitting position, nakita ko kasi bigla sa utak ko ang mga matatalim na tingin ni Justin sa tuwing hindi maayos ang upo ko. 

I cleared my throat.

 "He wouldn't do that. He barely talked to me, Sej. I'll just most definitely receive his death glares." 

"Ah oo nga pala," he said. "Anyway, nag-stay ako kasi may gusto akong ibigay sa iyo." 

I craned my neck and looked at him as if asking him about the box. He nodded confirming my silent inquiry. 

Kinuha ko ito pero nag-aalinlangan akong buksan 'to. It was his box after all. 

"I," panimula ko. "I don't think Justin would like this, Sejun." 

"Trust me, Estrella. He will be perfectly fine with it. Diba, Justin?" 

As he said the last part ay lumingon kami pareho sa puntod ni Justin. There he was, sleeping silently six feet underneath us. His handsome smiling picture was staring at us. 

A cold wind blew right past us. I shivered and hugged the box close to me. 

"See? I think that was his answer." 

With that I opened the lid of the box and the first thing I saw was our wedding picture— the only picture that we had. Kusang tumulo ang mga luha ko. Hindi lang iyon ang laman nito, it contained everything that I gave him within the years of our relationship. There was the anklet I gave him for our first anniversary, the bottle of the perfume that I bought for him when I went to Europe, the stuffed toy key chain that I won in a game for his car keys, the handkerchief that I lended him two years ago was also there. 

Bakit, Justin? 

I closed the lid of the box and wiped my tears. 

"Why- why did you give this to me?" I asked him. 

"Lahat ng sasabihin ko, Estrella, are the truth. And I am not telling you this to make you feel guilty pero we all think you deserve to know." 

"I deserve to know what, Sej?" 

"He loved you, Estrella." 

Nanlaki ang mata ko. Ano raw? Did I hear it wrong? 

"A-ano?" 

"You heard me," he said.

"Pero paano? Bakit? Sejun you know how empty our marriage was. He was so cold, so passive. He barely even talks to me," I whispered the last part not believing what he just said. 

"Because our friend was probably the most coward person alive, Estre. He thought you hated him because he took away your freedom. He thought  that if he tells you that he loves you, you'll hate him even more."