Chapter 20: It's Not Easy to Forgive

Stampy's POV

"Beth has tuberculosis." The doctor says.

What? She never told me she had a life threatening infection! That's why she wanted to have a baby so early. She wanted to have a child before she died.

I feel a wave of emotion wash over me. First it's sadness, then I feel annoyed.

Why didn't she tell me she had tuberculosis?! I would have lived, thinking John murdered her or something.

"How long-" I start.

"13 months."

13 months?! She has had an illness for 13 months and she didn't tell me? That means... That means she had it when we first we're going out.

If she doesn't tell me herself today, I'm telling her I know tomorrow.

Sqaishey's POV

When I walk back into the room, Stampy has a folder, which I assume is the ultrasound photos.

"We'll have you back for a check up in a month, just to make sure it's growing healthy." The doctor says.

"Yeah, that's good, thanks." I say, and Stampy and I walk out of the hospital to the car.

We drive back to our apartment in silence. Stampy seems angry for some reason. I decide it's just just stress and nerves from finding out he's a father.

But for the rest of the day, he talks nicely, but he still has a tone in his voice that makes him seem angry.

And it just gets worse. By 10:00pm, he looks like he wants to throw a chair at me. (Really weird, I'm sorry)

I change into my pyjamas and slip under the sheets. Stampy has his back to me, and I start to feel worried.

Surely having a child isn't that stressful for him.

*~.~*

Stampy's POV

She didn't tell me. She never planned to tell me.

So I have to say it. Express my feelings about it. I sigh and get out of bed, putting on my clothes for today.

I look at Sqaishey sleeping peacefully. Not knowing that soon she'll wake up and find out I know.

*Time Skip*

"Morning Stampy." Sqaishey says. I don't answer.

Sqaishey talks again, sounding confused.

"Stampy? Are you ok? If you want to talk-"

"Yes, I would like to talk. About you keeping secrets from me." I blurt out angrily.

Sqaishey looks shocked and confused. "Secrets?" She says.

She can tell what I'm going to say before I say it.

"Tuberculosis."

She immediately starts to talk.

"I didn't want you to spend the rest of my days worrying... I want to enjoy the last 11 months of my life." She says.

"What if I knew, I could have cherished the days that you live?" I say angrily, raising my voice slightly, almost about to yell.

She is silent for a few minutes, speechless and thinking it over.

"That's the last secret. I promise I won't keep anything from you again. Can you forgive me?" She asks.

"Babies are meant to bring families together, not to tear them apart. I want to forgive you." I say, and she seems happier. But I continue in a grave tone, a tone I never thought I would use.

"But it's not easy to forgive."