35

Agad akong bumangon ng marinig ko ang pag-bukas ng pintuan. I smiled at the doctor and she did the same as she checked on me. I sneaked in yesterday para hindi nila malaman na tumakas ako but I failed, isang buong araw nila akong hinanap kahapon at kung hindi lang nila tinanong si Caleb tungkol doon ay baka ipinahanap na nila ako sa police.

"You're good to go" she said.

Nakahinga ako ng maluwag dahil doon. My savings won't be enough kung pati ako ay mag-stay sa hospital. I nodded at her but when she was about to go out, I knew I needed to stop her.

"Pwede po ba mag-tanong?" I asked shyly but she just laughed and nodded.

"Ano iyon?" she asked.

Napalunok ako at napatingin sa gilid. Natatakot ako sa pwede niyang isagot at hindi ko alam kung kakayanin ko pa ba. Sobra na ang nararamdaman kong sakit pero kung tama nga ang hinala ko, kailangan ko na talagang malaman iyon ngayon.

"What happened to Caleb? Why is he confined?" I uttered with all the strength I got.

I saw her hesitation but she eventually let out a deep sigh like she was readying herself to tell me the truth. "Brain hemorrhage.. the operation already happened but the recovery would last for months, he needs to be confined and he needs to take the prescribed medicines."

I closed my eyes tightly before I thanked her. I knew it was a hemorrhage. He probably got it at the accident and I know it would take months for him to recover. Nanghina ako at agad napa-upo dahil doon. I don't have work and I can't still work at the hospital, how can I pay for his medication?

I gathered all my strength to take all my things and go out of the room. Pumunta ako sa kwarto ni Caleb at naabutan ko siyang naka-tayo sa tapat ng bintana. I went near him and stared at the busy road.

"Tita, magiging masaya ka naman diba?" he murmured.

Napatingin ako sa kanya at bahagya siya sinamaan ng tingin. "I'm happy with you Caleb, stop it." I told him.

He smiled but a tear fell from his eyes. "I'm dying, I can't be cured" he cried.

I pulled him closer and gave him a hug. He is breaking down and his mind is clouded with all the possibilities. I shook my head at him.

He can be cured, kailangan lang namin sumunod sa sinasabi ng doctor. He would live, he had to.

"I won't give up on you huh? Just trust tita" I whispered and I felt him nodded.

I was startled when I felt his weight on me. He lost consciousness. I tried my best to put him in his bed as tears began flowing in my eyes. I don't know where to start.

Agad akong umalis ng hospital para bumalik sa unit. I had to get over everything immediately. I want to go back to those days that I can freely be happy. I want to forget that Jax and I are over, that he left me alone just when I needed him the most. I want to forget that Caleb is suffering. But I don't have time to be hurt for too long, I had to be strong.

Caleb needs me.

I was shocked when I saw Ynna in front of the door of our unit kaya naman agad akong tumakbo at yumakap sa kanya. I was about to cry but I heard her sobs kaya naman napatigil ako. Hinila ko siya papasok ng unit at binigyan ng tubig para kumalma.

Napansin ko ang pamamaga ng mata niya kaya naman bahagya 'kong hinagod ang likod niya. "Cali, I'm sorry I wasn't there with you" she said but I just smiled at her.

"It's fine" I assured her. "What happened to you?" I asked getting worried.

I tried my best not to break down and cry in front of her dahil ramdam ko ang bigat na dinadala niya. I had to be the Cali I used to be before, the one they can lean on. I have to stay tough.