46

Third Person P.O.V

What people expect from a high ranking individual: class, poise, grace, and above all confidence. Money was also a bit of a factor. But right now, Kim Namjoon was close to pissing himself as he entered the car. The driver being none other than Yoongi.

"You alright?" The older asked, chuckling as he looked at the younger through the mirror. "Hyung?" Namjoon was surprised to see the older instead of his usual driver. 

"Why are you behind the wheel? Where's Soobin?" 

Yoongi smiled and looked at his from the rearview. "I gave him the day off, besides, my married ass can help you get some advice. It is your first date after all." 

"Thanks, Hyung."

The car ride was silent, Yoongi expected this. The fidgeting of the leg and the biting of the nails, he got that from him. Being a big bad boss wasn't what Namjoon was supposed to be. He's a bookworm, a big softie, a sheep in a wolf's hyde. 

"So, where are you taking him?"

"You're the driver, shouldn't you know?"

"Wanted to have some small talk with you of course, can't an old man talk to his not-that-young son?"

"Hyung, you're not that much older than me, and you have a son back home?"

"Aish, this kid. You never were the joking type." 

Namjoon smiled, he missed this so much. If only he allowed himself to tell Jin everything from the beginning. If only he didn't accept the position from his grandfather. If only, his parents were still alive. Maybe things turned out differently. 

They could be doing their jobs or retired, Namjoon could've opened a book store or a library and maybe added a cafe if he could. His parents would've met Jin and his technically adopted son, Jungkook. 

But that's all in the past. One mustn't look back, but keep moving forward. "Will you come back home if all things go well?"

Namjoon shrugged. "If things go well, will you arrest me?" Yoongi laughed a hearty laugh. "I knew what you were back then, and I didn't arrest you. Would I be driving my target around if I wanted you behind bars?" 

"You got a point there, Hyung." 

"Come on, you're never one to have cold feet. This is your last shot. You're even lucky that Jin considered your offer for a date."

Namjoon kept playing with his fingers and scratching the skin on his thumb using his index finger. If Jin were to arrest him, he'd gladly take the fall. He was prepared. He had an heir, a will at the ready with his lawyer. 

He couldn't help but worry about what's going to happen if the date goes well. Will Jin come with him? Leave the world that he knew and go alongside him as his lover once more? Runaway from being the top detective and stay with him?

"Hyung. Why did you help me on that day? You knew who I was and yet, you never reported me." 

Yoongi chuckled. 

It was a trip down memory lane today. 

"Well, 10 years ago, when I was just a young cop-in-training, I heard that there was a gang near where I was patrolling. You were just getting started."

He remembered that day. When he had to wear the uncomfortable blue uniform the young cadets were given. A new gang was starting to form and causing trouble. Yoongi was walking around the streets as he was tasked to do, so did 20 other young adults his age all around Seoul. 

The streets were quiet, a cat here and there. 

That was disrupted by the sounds of multiple voices shouting and yelling.