Chapter 22

Natasha: Doctor, I am sorry but if you take another second to answer us, I will have to draw my gun and shot you.

Natasha declared and Steve touched her knee to make her keep it down, while staring the doctor.

Steve: She didn't mean that.

Natasha: Didn't I??

Natasha and Steve looked at each other with furrowed brows.

Steve: You don't let him talk!

Natasha: Me? He's taking too long to answer.

Steve: You keep asking.

Natasha: Sorry if I want to know if I'm pregnant! But I am a woman and the most interested in here!

Steve: Are you the most interested??

Natasha snorted and made negative with her head.

Steve: What does that mean??

The doctor turned his chair a little to face them both.

- Steve and Natasha... please calm down...

The doctor asked and gestured for calm.

Steve and Natasha stopped the discussion and faced the doctor.

- Anxiety is perfectly normal and I'm sorry to inform you, however, through the images, I can't see a fetus.

Steve and Natasha listened and they were silent and looking confused as if they had not yet received an answer about what they expected.

Natasha looked down, more specifically at her own belly and parted her lips, she seemed to want to say something, but no words came out.

Natasha: So... I'm not pregnant...

Natasha whispered to herself, warning her to abandon her excitement and hope, she felt Steve's hand on her shoulder and she could feel that he was staring at her, probably with pity or regret.

The doctor took a paper towel and left it on Natasha's belly.

- I also cannot say that you are not pregnant yet.

Steve looked at the doctor, but Natasha was still looking at her belly and talking in thought to herself.

I'm not pregnant. I'm not pregnant. Natasha repeated it several times.

Steve: How so?

- Remember that I said that imaging tests at the beginning may not show signs of pregnancy?

Steve: Yes, it is true. See, Nat?

Steve looked at Natasha and the doctor too.

- I realize that you are disappointed, Young lady, but I advise you to wait for the result of the blood test tomorrow but whatever it is, don't worry you are still very young. If you are not pregnant now, you can get pregnant whenever you want.

Natasha just made negative with her head.

- I really need to leave now. Go home and return tomorrow. There is no point on being upset about it now. Don't even fight with each other... consider that as an experience for you both to get closer, to get stronger together.

The doctor tried to appease, but Natasha looked inconsolable.

Steve: Thank you, doctor. Sorry to late you.

- Come back tomorrow. We never know.

The doctor left the room and Steve watched Natasha for a few seconds, he was waiting for her to manifest but she was neither moving nor blinking.