The Come Up

The Come Up is the establishment of J. Cole's music career

As stated by Wikipedia, "The Come Up is the first mixtape from North Carolina rapper J. Cole released on May 4, 2007, hosted by DJ OnPoint". Moreover, Genius states that, "He produced 14 out of the 21 tracks on the mixtape himself, including his debut single Simba which he shot his first music video for".
Genius also stated that, "With samples from Kanye West, Nas, his idol Jay-Z and more, this mixtape only includes guest features from Deacon and Nervous Reck".

From the information above, the fact that Cole produced 14 tracks by himself shows he put a lot of effort to become a rap artist. As stated by Wikipedia, "The mixtape has been downloaded and streamed over 500,000 times, while being viewed over 1,800,000 times on mixtape site DatPiff ". This proves that The Come Up is the establishment of J. Cole's music career.

Reason why Cole released the mixtape, The Come Up

According to Genius, it states that, "When Cole sat down with HipHopDx he described his opinion on the project:

'I think The Come Up was way more raw; it's raw just straight rappin : I am just trying to prove I can really rap with anybody; I can hang with anybody. I wad trying to keep up with the Lil Wayne's and all that at that time '.

The Come Up is the foundation of Cole's career, later followed by The Warm Up ".

From my point of view, the fact that "it's raw just straight rappin" is an important point to consider. It is different from the other projects J. Cole had released because this mixtape was his way of making a statement that he is going to be one of the best rappers in history. Moreover The Come Up also led to his other mixtape The Warm Up hence why The Come Up is the establishment of J. Cole's music career.

The Track List :

1. Intro (The Come Up Vol. I )
2. Simba
3. I'm the Man
4. School Daze
5. Dolla and A Dream
6. Throw It Up
7. Quote Me
8. College Boy
9. Split You Up
10. Plain
11. The Come Up
12. Mighty Crazy
13. Dead Presidents
14. Lil Ghetto Nigga
15. Homecoming
16. Carolina On My Mind feat. Deacon
17. Can't Cry
18. Goin Off
19. Rags to Riches (At The Beep)
20. Get It
21. I Do My Thing feat. Nervous Reck

From the track list, there are variousreasons why The Come Up is the establishment of J. Cole's music career.

On the track Intro , as stated by Genius, "J. Cole unravels his project by thanking his listeners. While it's uncommon to open up with a thank you letter, Cole is very appreciative ". This is shown on the lyrics below :