Snow On Tha Bluff

J. Cole returns with a new single, Snow On Tha Bluff

In the midst of the Covid 19 pandemic and American crisis, Cole returns with a new single titled, Snow On Tha Bluff.

According to Genius, it states that, "Snow On Tha Bluff is J. Cole's first release of 2020. On the song, which is titled after a January 2011 film about a robbery in Atlanta, Cole delivers a single continuous verse that speaks on various issues facing the United States, including police brutality, wealth inequality, and racism. He also asks for his fans to not idolize him, wanting to instead be perceived as a regular person".

From my point of view, this not only addresses the various issues faced in America, but it's also a dedication to all the lives lost under police brutality e.g. George Floyd, Rayshard Brooks, Breonna Taylor e.t.c. Therefore the track is more like a declaration of black pride where African Americans are seeking justice against racial injustice.

There are some important facts about the cover of the track, Snow On Tha Bluff

There are some important facts about the cover of the track, Snow On Tha Bluff. According to Genius, it states that, "The artwork displays the beginning of the verse. The date at the top, June 4, 2020, likely indicates the day the song was written. This date is several days after Cole was seen protesting racial injustice in his hometown, Fayetteville, NC".

Since Cole was seen protesting against racial injustice in his hometown, Fayetteville NC, it proves that the track is a declaration of black pride.

Picture credit : ABC7. com. They were protesting against racial injustice due to the death of George Floyd.

It is speculated that the first part of the track is about the Chicago rapper Noname. According to Chris Mench on Genius, he stated that, "Many fans have theorized that the song addressesChicago rapper Noname, an outspoken political activist on social media".

 According to Chris Mench on Genius, he stated that, "Many fans have theorized that the song addressesChicago rapper Noname, an outspoken political activist on social media"

Noname

Genius states that, "Although not explicitly stated, the first part of the track is likely a response to Noname's perceived criticisms of Cole on Twitter. She has frequently stated that she is against capitalism and celebrity culture, two things that Cole raps about in his verse".

However, as stated by Chris Mench, "Cole encourage fans to follow Noname's activisim". As stated by Chris Mench, J. Cole said, "..Follow Noname. I love and honor her as a leader in these times. She has done and is doing the reading and the listening and the learning on the path that she truly believes is the correct one for our people". Moreover he said, "Meanwhile a nigga like me is just rapping. I haven't done a lot of reading and I don't feel well equipped as a leader in these times. But I do a lot of thinking. And I appreciate her and others like her because they challenge my beliefs and I feel that in these times that's important".

The track Snow On Tha Bluff is about the protest against racial injustice which are faced by many African Americans. This is why there's the Black Lives Matter Movement where most people are taking a stand against racism including musicians. Artists like Noname, J. Cole e.t.c are one of the musicians.

Snow On Tha Bluff was released on 16 June 2020.

Snow On Tha Bluff music audio