Cole World : The Sideline Story

Cole World : The Sideline Story has two meanings

From the title itself, there is the main title, "Cole World" and the subtitle, "The Sideline Story". The evidence can be found on the background information provided by Wikipedia.

According to Wikipedia, it states that, "Cole World : The Sideline Story ... is the debut studio album by American rapper J. Cole. It was released on September 27, 2011, by Roc Nation and Columbia Records, with distribution from Sony Music. The album is his first studio release, following three successful mixtapes".
Moreover on Wikipedia it says, "The album was one of the most anticipated releases of 2011 due to the sharp rise in Cole's popularity and mainstream fan base. Cole's lyrics perhaps most strikingly deal with issues such as abortion and the consequences of growing up in a fatherless household. However, these themes are incorporated alongside more introspective issues such as relationships, family problems, fame and attempting to be successful - an area which very much links in with the subtitle of the album 'The Sideline Story' ".

From my point of view, since the title, "The Sideline Story" is the subtitle, it means that the title, "Cole World" is the main title. From the information provided by Wikipedia, "The Sideline Story" deals with issues faced in today's society such as abortion, family problems e.t.c. The main title, "Cole World" seems to be about Cole's popularity, success and fame in the rap game. Therefore, Cole World : The Sideline Story is about Cole's success in the rap game and how he seems to highlight issues and challenges he has faced in his life before gaining success.

There is another meaning of the subtitle, "The Sideline Story"

There is another meaning of the subtitle, "The Sideline Story". According to a music review by Vince Yuen on wegotthiscovered.com, he stated that, "As the North Carolina MC J. Cole has explained himself after years of trying out, sitting on the sidelines and releasing critically acclaimed mixtapes, the time of the big game has finally arrived. His much anticipated debut album Cole World : The Sideline Story is here and it's a resounding success".

From my perspective, there are important aspects to consider. The words, "critically acclaimed mixtapes" is making reference to probably his three mixtapes, The Come Up, The Warm Up and Friday Night Lights. From these mixtapes, there was a metaphor of Cole trying out to be part of the basketball team. It meant Cole working hard to make a name for himself in the rap game. Therefore those mixtapes are the sidelines where he was working hard as a successful rapper in the rap game but he knew he had to work harder.
Therefore the album Cole World : The Sideline Story is about him being part of the "basketball team" (rap game) and him making a name for himself in the rap game. Therefore The Come Up, The Warm Up, Friday Night Lights and Cole World : The Sideline Story are linked.

There is probably a meaning for the main title, "Cole World". According to a music review by William Ketchum III on hiphopdx.com, he states that, "With his debut album Cole World : The Sideline Story, the North Carolina upstart and high school basketball player laces his J's to share his come up and show why he deserves a starting position".