If You Want Me To Stay

Picture credit (above) : onestowatch website

Enthralling reality about, "If You Want Me To Stay" by Ari Lennox and Anthony Ramos

Ari Lennox and Anthony Ramos have released a song titled If You Want Me To Stay on 3 September, 2020.
There are various ways in which the track is an enthralling reality. Firstly, "If You Want Me To Stay" is a rare type of song in the sense that it was originally released by Sly & The Family Stone in 1973. According to the website onestowatch, " 'If You Want Me To Stay' is a rare type of song. Though it was originally released by Sly & The Family Stone in 1973, Ari Lennox and Anthony Ramos have come together to give it a new life. Fair warning : it might take you on a train back in time". Therefore, the track If You Want Me To Stay is enthralling because it gives new life to the original track that was released by Sly & Family Stone in 1973.

 Therefore, the track If You Want Me To Stay is enthralling because it gives new life to the original track that was released by Sly & Family Stone in 1973

Background information about Sly & Family Stone. 

As stated by Wikipedia, "Sly and the Family Stone was an American band from San Francisco. Active from 1966 to 1983, it was pivotal in the development of , , , and . Its core line-up was led by singer-songwriter, record producer, and multi-instrumentalist , and included Stone's brother and singer/guitarist , sister and singer/keyboardist , trumpeter , drummer , saxophonist , and bassist . It was the first major American rock group to have a , male and female lineup". Moreover, as stated by The Guardian website, "Rock's first fully integrated group brought virtually undiluted funk to a broad audience and provide the template for urban soul, funk, and hip-hop". From my point of the view, there are two important points to consider about Sly and the Family Stone. Firstly, they were "...pivotal in the development of funk, soul, rock and psychedelic music." This means that they are the one of the people who came up with the genres, funk, soul, rock and psychedelic music hence without them , there wouldn't be any of these genres that exists during this modern day. Secondly, it was the first group to have a "racially integrated, male and female lineup". In this case it means it was the first group to not only have black musicians in the group but also white musician hence the end of racial segregation towards blacks. It seems to have symbolized peace between whites and blacks. Therefore, the song, "If You Want Me To Stay" by Ari Lennox and Anthony Ramos is an enthralling reality in the sense it has incorporated music from one of the best music groups in history, Sly & Family Stone. 

There are some similarities in the genres in both songs, "If You Want Me To Stay" by Sly and Family Stone and Ari Lennox and Anthony Ramos respectively. It seems to have a similar sound. If one listens to the song, "If You Want Me To Stay" by Sly & Family Stone, it seems to have a beat which sounds like a bass guitar playing in the background. At the same time, it seems it's a trumpet that plays at the same time which seems to bring out the genre, funk. On the other hand, "If You Want Me To Stay" by Ari Lennox and Anthony Ramos maintains the beat from the original track by Sly & Family Stone. It has that old school feeling in the 70's with a modern day twist. As stated by onestowatch website, "The song's intro opens the door with a stabbing bass line, plenty of hi-hats, and a retro guitar repeating two notes". Another similarity is that it seems to share the same "Outro" in the track which is : 

[Outro]

"And when you see me again

I hope that you have been

The kind of person that

you really are now"

The way it seems, the original soundtrack, the lyrics and a modern twist to the track is another way to show that "If You Want Me To Stay" by Ari Lennox and Anthony Ramos is an enthralling reality.

If You Want Me To Stay by Sly & Family Stone(Above)

If You Want Me To Stay by Ari Lennox and Anthony Ramos (Above)

The onestowatch website also gives important details about why the track has an enthralling reality. It claims that, " 'If You Want Me To Stay' is reminiscent of the post-Motown Philly Soul wave representative in songs like The O'Jay's 'Backstabbers,' but Lennox and Ramos gently blend it with the timbre of Erykah Badu-era R&B and the texture of modern soul. Even the song's cover art has that retro, original vinyl cover feel with a faded effect, pink overlay, and a photo of Lennox and Ramos back to back." Therefore, the track is an enthralling reality since it incorporates an Erykah Badura era R&B and the texture of modern soul hence it has a modern twist touch. It takes someones back to old school music.

The track was released in order to support small businesses. As stated by onestowatch, "Lennox and Ramos are using their gift to help small businesses and lean into the pulse of small communities. The two partnered with Crown Royal and , a non-profit dedicated to helping small business and communities throughout the United States." The way it seems, these artists seem to care about the communities who have been affected by the Covid 19 pandemic. Their businesses seemed to have suffered ever since. Therefore' artists using their talents to support businesses is another way to show that the song is an enthralling reality.

Relevance of the title of the song, "If You Want Me To Stay" by Ari Lennox and Anthony Ramos. 

Although the song lyrics seems to be about love and chemistry, there is another meaning. According to the onestowatch website, it affirms that, "In an interview with Atwood Magazine, Lennox explains that the song's new version speaks not to a person staying around, but to the small business, including the 'bars, stages and clubs [she] performed in' which 'are now in danger of closing due to the global pandemic.' Crown Royal is donating a dollar for every single stream of the cover." Therefore, the track was probably released in order to support small businesses. The track seems to be dedicated to everyone who has small businesses in the United States of America. The track is an enthralling because it's about supporting and helping everyone who have small businesses in the United States of America. 

In a nutshell, the track If You Want Me To Stay is dedicated to support small businesses. The song is more like a cover of the hit song, "If You Want Me To Stay" by Sly & Family which was a hit in 1973. The song cover is also classic and the song takes one on a train back in time. 

Hey everyone, sorry for the late updates, I have been busy with college lately. I will post other music reviews when I have time. Thank you once again for supporting my book. It really means a lot : - )