Chapter 21: Below the Surface

"Gem Drill" but written differently.

3rd Person P.O.V.

The gems have located Malachi. It was on Mask Island. The gems were going after her while Steven and Peridot were adding finishing touches to the drill.

Peridot has changed in the last three days. Three days ago, she tried contacting Yellow Diamond but she ended up calling her a "Clod". Now, she was helping Steven finish the drill and has been learning about the planet in the meantime.

She has learned about the weather, holidays, and has been watching a TV series called "Camp Pining Hearts" on VHS. Peridot grew addicted watching the series and was wanting to watch more of it. She binge watched Seasons 1-2 within 48 hours.

Peridot was also fond with jokes. She found a Joke-Book and was reading the material. She didn't get half of it because she didn't knew what they meant until she was shown by Steven or the others.

Like with the old "Why did the chicken cross the road?" Joke. Peridot didn't know what a chicken was until Amethyst shapeshifted into one, she laughed hysterically. Peridot enjoyed Earth more than Homeworld.

They haven't heard from the gems in a while, they don't know if they're in trouble or not. However, they didn't have time to consider going after them to help them since the entire area was rumbling. Peridot knew what was happening.

Cracks were created at a fast pace. It felt like an earthquake, Steven really wished it was an earthquake.

(Peridot) If you're done just standing there, maybe it's about time that we stop the world from ending! Where are the others?!

(Steven) They're still on Mask Island. We have to drill without them. 

(Peridot) Ugh! Am I the only one who understands the meaning of teamwork?! Okay, Steven, are you ready to drill down into the planet, to depths never before reached by your species? To stop the Cluster before it forms and save your world?

(Steven) Yes.

(Peridot) Good!

They both went inside the drill and Peridot started it.

(Peridot) Ready or not, we have a mission.

The drill has now started to burrow into the ground. Peridot has calculated the estimated time which is two hours, the drill is going as fast as it can. It was silent inside the drill, none of them hasn't said a word since they got into the drill.

It was a bit cramped in seats, Steven wondered how Pearl, Garnet, and Amethyst were going to fit inside here. After a few long minutes of silence, Peridot spoke,

(Peridot) Get ready. We're about to penetrate the astheno-sphere.

Lava was around the drill on the outside, luckily it can withstand it. Since there isn't anything to do but wait, Steven started to think. This whole Cluster doesn't sit well in him.

Not because it's capable of destroying the world, the fact that they're still gems that are conscious and suffering. Steven may not be a gems but he was imagining what it would feel like to see your own kind, suffering and not knowing whats going on. Now, he and Peridot are going to have to destory billions of gems to save the planet.

For Steven, it's putting an end to an imminent threat. For Peridot, it's genocide. But it's not like she has a choice to do it, it's etiher destroy them or let them destroy her home.

Time has passed for awhile and eventually Peridot spoke again.

(Peridot) We're hitting some denser rock. This is it!

After a good 30 seconds of digging, Peridot stopped when she found a hold. She used a light attached to the drill to scout the area ahead of them.

She found it, the Cluster.

(Peridot) Recovery depth achieved. Target found.

The area started shaking.

(Steven) What's happening?

(Peridot) I-it's taking form, impossible! I thought we'd be able to stop it...

Suddenly the rumbling stopped. Peridot quickly looked through the telescope to see what's happening.

(Peridot) It's struggling to take it's form. This means we still might have time! There's still a chance! Just a little repositioning.

She moved the drill back to be able go further down and slightly plunged into the Cluster. All was well until they heard screaming. It was the Cluster.

It has gems and they're still conscious, which means they can feel the drill attacking their gems. Peridot was greatly disturbed by this.

(Peridot) S-Steven? Do you think you can do this for me? I-I don't feel so good...

(Steven) Sure.

She hands him the controls. Steven didn't need a tutorial since he was helping build it. Steven continued drill into the Cluster which caused the screams to be louder.

(Steven) Are you okay?

(Peridot) I... I don't know. I don't know why I'm suddenly feeling bad about this. Earlier, we talked about this was going to be easy but now it seems hard.

(Steven) I think I know why.

(Peridot) What do you think?

(Steven) I think it's because we know that the Cluster can feel pain and we're tormenting it and shattering billions of gems. It's different for you and me because this is part of your kind, eliminatimg countless lifes. Not to mention, they didn't want this. I'm sorry if this is too much for you.

(Peridot) Thanks... Please just hurry up with this so we can leave...

Steven continued to drill through the Cluster. Eventually, the screaming stopped, indicating that they're gone.

(Steven) It's done...

(Peridot) Let's go back now...

Steven turned the drill around and went back up to the surface.

Back on the Barn.

The drill went back up and has stopped operating once it was on the ground. Steven and Peridot got out of it.

(Peridot) You did it!

She hugged him. He allowed it to happen for a few more seconds before pulling away. They heard the Warp Pad activate and found the gems.

Garnet was carrying Lapis.

(Steven) You're back. Is Lapis okay?

(Garnet) She'll be fine.

(Pearl) Did you destroy the Cluster?

(Steven) Yes. Where's Jasper?

(Amethyst) Oh, she um...

(Garnet) She got away. Don't worry, she isn't much of a threat anymore and we'll hunt her down one day.

End of Chapter 21