Chapter 8

Geralt had finally made it to Heatherton. Looking around he suddenly had a sinking feeling in his gut. The village was far to quiet. Like something huge happened here and he just didn't know what. Scowling slightly he started to look around when he heard a man yelling for help. Running over he could see a pack of wild dogs trying to attack a man. Drawing his sword he made quick work of them.
     "Hey, you're okay now." "Back! Back away! Don't come near me." Geralt could see the man was hysterical so he formed the sign for axxi. "Alright, you're gonna calm down now and tell me what exactly happened here. You are safe now." The man blinked as if coming back to his senses. "Safe, of course master I shall tell you everything."
         The two walked to the center of the town and sat down. "It all started a night ago."
    Flashback-
   It had been a normal day in Heatherton. The towns folks were talking and getting ready for the day to end when all of a sudden a cold white frost started to form in the air and along the ground. Within moments a ground of riders on skeletal horses had appeared as if from air. The towns folk screamed and tried to run but were either killed on sight or turned into ice to which they died anyway.
      They had gotten their hands on Hendrik and the screams that came from the man's house had been unholy. Something straight from a horror story. Eventually the screams died down and the riders vanished as quick as they appeared. However it didn't matter everyone had been killed except for one man.
    Flashback ends.
   "I still don't know what they wanted with that poor man. But he's dead. I saw his body and that's when the dogs suddenly attacked. The only reason I'm alive is because I was inside my house. Windows and door locked and I dare not make a sound." Geralt nodded. He was irritated, Hendrik was dead. His only lead dead. Yet perhaps he could still find whatever he needed inside the man's house.
    "Right, thanks for the help. Be seeing you." "Of course master, I'll sit here for a bit to get me head together." Geralt nodded and walked off heading straight for Hendriks house. Looking around it wasn't long until he spotted the man's lifeless body. Kneeling down he started to check pockets, his shirt. Anything that could have information hidden away. "Shit, where the fuck could he have hidden something. It's easy to tell that they tortured him. His eyes are bloodshot, blood pooled at the mouth like he bit his tongue off, whatever they did was extreme."
     He tried to think of where the man could hide something that most people wouldn't think of looking at. He suddenly found himself wishing Selene was there. She would have an idea. Not that he didn't have them, but Selene would think more outside the box. And that's when his eyes widened. "His fucking shoes." Quickly checking the shoes he grinned when he pulled out a small key. "Great now to figure out what you're for."
      Looking around he eventually saw a rug, that look as if it had been placed in a sudden rush. Raising an eyebrow he lifted the rug and tossed it to the side eyes widening as he saw a hidden door. "Well I'll be damned." Using the key he unlocked the door and climbed down to the bottom.  Checking out the room he saw the posted for Ciri. But nothing else. Where the fuck was this man's research? His leads?
     Scowling slightly he wasn't even aware of what he was doing till he pulled a torch which just so happened to be a lever. Raising his eyebrow he looked over and grinned as he saw a chest. "Hendrik you smart son of a bitch." Walking over he opened the chest and pulled out a ledger. "Hmm, interesting." Carefully flipping through it he saw hidden notes on the sides, close to the spine of the book.
      "Ciri, last spotted in Crows Perch, overheard that she quarreled with a witch. Hmm interesting. I haven't been to Crows Perch in years. Perhaps it's time I paid a visit to the Baron once more." And with that he put the ledger into his bag, climbed up the ladder and left the building heading right for Roach. Climbing up he urged Roach into a full out run. His next destination was Crows Perch, at the bloody Baron's estate.