Chapter 30

As Selene and Iorveth left the tavern and headed towards the house Triss was staying at for the time being. As they got closer Selene could hear the mumbled voices of hunters. "Well shit." Iorveth looked at her with confusion. "What is it Sele?" "Witch hunters. They're looking for mages." Iorveth cursed and Selene placed a hand on his shoulder. "See that alley down the way?" "Yeah why?" "Go, hide there till I come out with Triss." He frowned at this. "Selene I have spent my entire life hiding when I had to. But I'm not about to do it here. They're after mages not elves."
      Selene sighed as she moved her hand to his face. "I know Iorveth. But I need someone to check and clear a path. Can you do that Instead?" He smirked. "So I get to kill Dh'one?" She almost laughed. "Yes Iorveth, you get to most likely kill some Dh'oine." "Then I'll go to the alley and look around the area. But I will not just hide." Selene nodded and let him go as she stood up. "Thank you. Now go, I'll get Triss and meet you there."
      Iorveth took her hand and stared right into her silver eyes. "You better come back to me Séléne-e. I will be very displeased if you end up caught." Selene smiled. "No worries, I'll come back." And with that she vanished into the shadows as Iorveth also slipped away. As Selene neared the house she could hear Triss talking and two other people. "Just give us the necklace." "But I already paid you." "And we raised it, so you have to pay or leave." Selene frowned as she heard the commotion and slipped her way up the stairs.
     Leaning against the wall she could see Triss looking upset and a couple harassing her. "I believe she's already said she's paid you." "Oi, who the fuck is the freak?" "Dear don't be rude, poor girly is blind, she musta stumbled into the wrong house." Selene scowled and Triss looked embarrassed. However Selene only shook her head. "You're right, I am blind, but Triss here is a good girl and she's suppose to be helping me. I recognized the voice. Now you two are gonna leave her alone hm? Not even gonna tell a soul she was here." And with that she casted axxi.
       "The lass is right, Triss is a good girl, we won't's Tell a soul Miss. have a Goodnight." And with that they went downstairs. Triss and Selene stared at each other and Triss snickered. "So you're blind huh? Guess I should guide you down the stairs?" Selene shot her a dirty look. "Look I didn't feel like dealing with them. But you ever say that again and I'll drop you in the canal." Triss shuddered as she walked over and pretended to help Selene down the stairs. "Where's Iorveth?" "Waiting nearby, I told him to make sure the area is clear."
        "That's good, we need to pick up two more mages and we can go." Selene rolled her eyes but nodded. Every mage had to leave Novigrad tonight. Anyone who practiced magic, even looked at it, now had to leave a place they had once called home. "You girls be safe, Triss don't let the nice lady walk into a wall." Selene bit back a groan and Triss had to try and not laugh. "No worries, I won't let my friend walk into anything. Now come on, careful, that bottom step is tricky." Selene cursed in elvish taking Triss by surprise. Once the pair were outside did they head over to the alley where Iorveth was waiting. A confused look to his endless green eyes.
       "Does someone wanna explain why Triss is helping you walk?" Selene groaned as she pulled away. "Don't even mention it." Triss snickered. "They thought she was blind, and instead of arguing it, she agreed. Used axxi and as you saw we had to keep up the Charade." Selene glared at the redhead and Iorveth blinked. "That's actually pretty smart. Come on Sele, don't look so angry." Selene flipped him off and crossed her arms. "Right remind me to push her into the canal." Triss shuddered at this. "I'm sorry Selene, but you have to admit it was a good idea, as funny as it is given we both know how good you can really see." Selene mumbled before she turned to Iorveth.
       "Area clear?" "Yes, killed a few of them too. We can go to where Triss needs to be." "First we gotta pick up a couple. I hope they weren't caught." Selene frowned. That would be the worst case possible. As soon as Triss started walking, Selene and Iorveth were right behind her. Iorveth however was in the far back. He would keep Selene safe, while Selene scanned the area from the center. 
       As they approached a house Selene could hear muffled crying and a few other voices. "You did good in turning these two in. Menga might be missing right now but you two will still be rewarded." "Please you can't do this!" Selene frowned and Triss looked sick. Iorveth however was indifferent. He didn't know these people, he didn't really care much either. But seeing the worry on Selene's face soon had him changing his mind. "You're not worried?" "About the Dh'oine? No, I'm actually irritated by them. Selling out others for the sake of Coin."
      Triss knew what he meant. "I get it. But sometimes we don't have a choice." "No, Selene taught me she even showed me. Everyone has a choice and they chose wrong. Now let's get up there before they get killed." However Selene was already upstairs, she drew her steal blade and before the one even knew what happened she sliced open his throat and watched as he fell to the ground gasping and choking for air before he finally died. The other one turned and glared at her. "You fucking bitch! You killed him!"
     She shrugged. "Ya? You're point being? I'm gonna kill you too." The man went to pull his sword out only to have Selene's going through his chest and right through the heart before she yanked it out and watched as he fell to the floor bleeding out. Turning towards the two humans she put her sword away and crossed her arms. "I wanna say I get why you did it. But that would be a lie. Because I don't get it. They hurt like you, mourn like you, cry like you. And yet all you've done is turn your backs on them when they needed you. So when karma comes back around, I hope you remember this day."
      Selene turned towards the other two and smiled. "Come on, let's get you two out of here. I have Triss waiting downstairs, along with someone else, he's an elf." The one man shook his head. "No, we'll never make it. We'll die." Selene cursed under her breath. "And you'll die here if you stay." However Selene didn't have time for him to argue back so she once again used axxi to keep him calm. "Let's go." And with that she led them downstairs where Iorveth and Triss just stared at her. "What? You two were taking to long." "I'm just surprised we didn't see you sneak upstairs." Selene rolled her eyes as she walked out.
     "Come on, let's get the Fuck out of here. The longer we hang around the more uncomfortable I get." Triss nodded and soon took the lead once more, the other two following her leaving Selene and Iorveth to stay in the back. "What happened up there?" "I killed the hunters. Scolded the Dh'oine, and used axxi to shut the man up. Honestly he was so whiny." Iorveth snickered before looking serious. "You alright?" "Mhm, I'm fine. It didn't take much out of me." "Good, cause I have a feeling it's just getting started." Selene nodded, it was all she could do given the circumstances after all.
       As soon as they arrived in at the back door of the Farcorners and slipped inside only to see the hunters there and a dead mage. Selene drew her sword and so did Iorveth, while Triss attacked with magic. Selene moved across the floor, parrying attacks and slashing whatever exposed skin she saw, while Iorveth simply sliced open throats. Selene had enough of the fighting and within moments she had killed three men by beheading all of them in quick succession. Once the last man was dead did she turn to Triss.
     "I'm sorry." Triss could only nod before she walked away, not willing to look at the scene anymore. Selene looked at Iorveth who only shook his head before they followed after her and to the hidden passage just behind the wall and down the stairs. "Good thing they never found this place." "How right you are Triss Merigold." Selene turned to look at the sound of a very familiar voice and froze before she spoke. "Dijkstra."