Chapter 29

It was a few days after Selene had told Iorveth her story and she had watched as an array of emotions had crossed his face. Before he held her close. He had no actual idea how bad the relationship was in the beginning but now that he knew he refused to let it happen again. Even though Meya had managed to redeem herself and managed to keep her daughter from dying. What she did still left a bitter taste in his mouth. However he was soon pulled out of his thoughts as Selene walked in and leaned against the wall.
      "Iorveth, Triss wants us to meet her tonight." Iorveth looked over from his spot at the window and nodded. He carefully took in how she had pulled up her hair and left it in a long braid down her back. Yet something was off. "What's going on?" Selene raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?" "You're on edge, something I haven't seen in a while." Selene frowned as she shrugged. "Wondering why she wants to meet us tonight. That's about it." He frowned. "No, something else is eating at you. What is it?" Selene sighed as she sat down on the bed. "I always go on edge after talking about my past."
     Iorveth stood up and walked over to her and knelt down before taking her hands into his own. "I'm sorry. I didn't even consider how talking about it would make you feel." Selene only gave him a soft smile. "How could you? I never made it known to many people how fucked up it really was." Iorveth wanted to stop her but he knew she had to get this out. "It was beyond fucked up. Feel free to agree. My mum wasn't the best. She was literally insane. Everything she did, she did for my future. For the worlds future. It doesn't mean I agree with it. I fucking hated her. Part of me still hates her for all of it."
     Iorveth just listened, This was a part of her and he understood that talking was a healthy way to cope. "But A part of me loves her and forgives her. She's my mum, so yes things were fucked up, she lied to me a lot. But by having me she slowly went insane. I can't hold that against her." Iorveth blinked before he spoke. "You're honestly amazing you know that?" Selene blinked before she tilted her head. "You of all people have every right to be jaded and full of hate. Have every right to want to kill her and any who stand in your path. Yet you don't. You don't have that nasty outlook on life, you have this unique way of still seeing how wonderful humanity can be. You forgave your mum for putting you through that shit."
      Selene stared at him slightly amazed. "You who should have been jaded and cruel. Turned out to be the most loving person I've ever met. You might not have always been that way. But you changed. You started with Geralt, as much of an asshole he turned out to be. Then with Dandelion, Ciri, Lambert, Eskel, Vesemir and anyone else I haven't mentioned. You accepted the Scoia'tael. You accepted the Dh'oine. Even though we both know some days they're pieces of shit. You who could have left any of them behind to die. You selflessly put your own life in danger to save them. And now you're doing it again. You have a very large heart. And you give me something I thought was long gone."
      Selene tilted her head as she waited for him to say what it was. Iorveth smiled as he tightened his grip on her hands. "You Selene Of Vesina give me hope. You are a shining ray of bright light even on the darkest days. You give hope, you are hope. And I can't imagine having never met you. I know I can't go back and make it so you never have to suffer but each time you did you came back stronger then the last." Selene smiled at him. Her posture finally relaxing as she pulled her one hand free and placed it on the side of his face. "Thank you Iorveth. If I had to, I would face it all again. It made me who I am today. And it led me to people I would never want to replace." Iorveth smiled as he held her hand against his face.
      Yet as Selene looked out the window she could see it was getting dark and she nodded. "Right, we should go find Triss."