Chapter 11

We were sitting silently beside each other. It was not awkward.

While Will was staring into space, in deep thinking I took a chance to look at the people who were walking in the sidewalk.

Occasionally, a car drove down the street. A few boys in their bicycles too were there. And there were couples walking hand in hand. One were actually making out. I was tempted to say'Get a room. People have eyes.'  But Will was sitting next to me with a serious face.

I've never seen him like that. He always wore this playful and bored expression. I've seen enough times in school.

Let me say this before, I'm not a stalker. It's just that we had English and Chemistry (not literally) and he always sits a few seats before me. He is usually with Jem, arguing and laughing. Making annoying comments which aggravates the teacher (even me). But I always find it funny.

I had a habit to visit the library after school and that's were I've met and decided he wasn't a jerk.

"Is it the time were we just stare into a void, with serious looks in our face?" Will asked.

I sighed. "Why do you have to comment at really serious times?"

He shrugged. "I just...can't stand people who get emotional. Which includes being serious."

"So you have to grace everyone with your charming insights."

He smirked. "I've been told that I'm contagious. I can see why?"

That seemed to lighten the mood.

"Ella was my elder sister." He started. "The day I was drunk and tormented you-"

"You didn't actually torment me." I interrupted.

"Well, she died six years ago at that day." Will was fiddling with a ring on his hand. It had a the letter 'H' inscribed in it. The Herondale family ring.

"How?" I said. But quickly added. "If you don't want to talk about it, it's fine."

He faced me and gave a wry expression. "Aren't you curious?"

I didn't say anything.

Will let out a small chuckle. "That's what I like about you. Your curiosity."

"I was twelve whereas she was sixteen. And as a teenager, she fell in love with a guy. She fell head over heels for him."

I nodded.

"See, Ella was so kind hearted. She was shy and soft. She did save me from  Jem one time at the zoo."

"What did Jem do?" I questioned.

"I may have eaten his ice cream too earlier that day." He said embarrassed. "And he knew I hate ducks. Which resulted him in convincing me to go near the turtle pond"

"Which turned out to be the Duck pond." I laughed.

"I almost had a panic attack." Will started to rant about ducks. Bloodthirsty beasts. Who knew that someone would be scared of ducks?

Also remember that way back where I told you not to deem Jem as naive. Here you go.

"But she was also too innocent." He continued. "And when her boyfriend cheated on her, she was shattered."

All the laughter left his eyes. "A week later, she was in a car accident."

"On the day of the accident, our parents and Cecily weren't at home. We both were the only ones there. Ella kissed my head and said, 'When you love someone more than they deserve, you get hurt more than you deserve' and just left. Then at the evening she was....gone."