Chapter 1

''Before you leave, please place your assignments according to the letters of your surnames in front by the door and don't forget to sign when you submit. " My accounting lecturer says after a long and daunting lecture that was about financial assets, I mean this stuff about assets was just easy back in high school, I just had to know that when an asset increases you debit it but now I have to classify these assets into numerous groups it's complicated now. Mrs. Botha is really good at her job and she makes everything easier when you have studied before class but if you come to class without preparation you will be lost during class, she is one of those lecturers who like to point at people especially if you are wearing something that stands out so now everyone makes it a point to study before hand or avoid wearing clothes that would catch her attention. I actually like her, she keeps us on our toes and yes I have been asked a few questions in class and I hated the spotlight but I knew the answers lucky me.  Let me pack my books and be out of here before everyone rushes to the door with people who want to leave and those that want to enter the hall. This thing is just simple let everyone come out then you get in.

I am always one of the first people who are out of the class since everyone wants to chat with their friends before they leave class, others are consulting with lecturers about contents of today's lecture I am not a fan of that I would rather go to the lecturers office and consult there comfortably, also I always just want to be done with my classes so I can go to the next class or be done for the day. I leave class as early as I can, I am rushing to get hot fat cakes from the student center, I always buy those when I have a morning class, they are truly delicious but ridiculously expensive for their size and for fat cakes. I can get 3fatcakes for the price of one ekasi. Argh there is a line now I have wait for at least 20 minutes to get them let me try something else today I am always eating amagwinya(fat cakes) that's why I am a gwinya myself. I look around for a shop that sells my type of food and nothing all these other shops sell expensive breakfast I think they forget that we are students here and are not in Rosebank or Sandton mxm. I walk to the milkshake shop I get there look around and wow the muesli cereal and yoghurt will do, never had this honestly so its going to be amazing to try something new.

I pay for my food and look for a place to sit in the benches and I spot a really nice isolated bench oh my luck thank God, I sit there and everyone is doing their own thing people are smoking hubbly so early in the morning must be nice and I spot a few of my classmates in the crowd. I start to mix the muesli with the yogurt I am not even sure that's how they serve it but whatever. I start eating it and I am not a fan. It has these things that get in my teeth and I have to take them out the whole day and the texture doesn't sit well with me, and maybe serving it with yogurt was a bad idea takes like amasi and oats. I am giving it a 4/10 not buying it again.  Okay now that I have eaten I would like to introduce myself, my name is Nobuntu Zondi I am a Bachelor of Accounting student at Joburg University in  second year, I was born and bred in a township in the East Rand. I would like to think I had such a happy childhood with loving parents. I take my phone and look at the time. "Flip" I say under my breath, its already time for my second lecture of the day and the last one for the week I take out my timetable to check the venue, its just the beginning of the year so I still forget where my classes are and they recently changed the time table.

I walk faster than normal and argh there are a lot of steps here and its tiring honestly I power walk to pick up my pace and my chest is already telling me to slow down, it's almost as if someone set it on fire and as I increase my speed it's like I am pouring fuel and I am keeping the fire burning, today it's hotter than normal, which makes the whole thing worse but I continue power walking and yerrr even my legs are complaining I hate it here. I play ladies soccer for my residence but I am not even an ounce fit. I eventually make it to class on time and I sit at the back even though I cant see and I don't own glasses yet, they are expensive I cant afford them for now, they are part of my to do list for the year. I sit back and try to sit back to take in the cold air in the class this is the only time I appreciate the aircons in these lecture halls, its always cold here and I am not a fan of cold I am always wearing a jersey whether its hot or cold, and I am not the only one.