Chapter 11: A Smart Plan?

"I think it's up to us now," Peter addressed the gathering in the little room with the stone table.

"It's only a matter of time. Miraz's men and war machines are on their way. That means those same men aren't protecting his castle."

Camille immediately knew something was not right. Miraz had his men everywhere. They weren't just all going to come with their war machines. Miraz always had lots of men guarding his castle.

"What do you suppose we do, Your majesty?" Reepicheep asked.

"We need to get ready for it," Peter replied.

"To start planning for-" Caspian answered at the exact same time.

Camille nearly laughed out loud.

Peter shot Caspian a look and Caspian nodded, indicating for Peter to continue.

"Our only hope is to strike them before they strike us."

"But that's crazy! No one has ever taken the castle," Caspian interjected.

"There's always a first time," Peter replied.

"We'll have the element of surprise," someone said.

"But we have the advantage here!" Caspian protested.

Susan stood up and came over. "If we dig in, we could probably hold them off indefinitely," she said, siding with Caspian. "I, for one, feel safer underground," Trufflehunter spoke up.

"Look," Peter said, "I appreciate what you've done here but this isn't a fortress. It's a tomb."

"Yes, and if they're smart, the Telmarines will wait and starve us out," Edmund pointed out.

"We could collect nuts!" Pattertwig the squirrel offered.

"Yes! And throw them at the Telmarines!" Reepicheep replied. "Shut up!"

Camille gasped, such disrespect to a fellow Narnian!

Then Reepicheep said to Peter, "I think you know where I stand, sire."

Peter turned to Glenstorm the centaur, "If I get your troops in, can you handle the guards?"

The centaur was quiet for a moment. "Or die trying, my liege," he finally said.

"That's what I'm worried about," Lucy spoke up from her spot on the stone table.

"Sorry?" Peter asked, looking at her.

"You're all acting like there's only two options: dying here and dying there,"

"I'm not sure you've been listening, Lu," Peter told her.

"No, you're not listening! Or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch, Peter," she protested strongly.

"I think we have waited for Aslan long enough," Peter retorted.

Suddenly, Camille strode forward boldly. She was now in front of Peter. "Lucy's right, Peter," she said.

"I'm not liking the sound of this. I agree that we should stay here. I fear the worst is about to befall us if we go." Camille stomped her foot angrily. "You're making a big mistake here, Peter. Miraz has his men all over that castle whether he's around or not. Those men are highly skilled and nothing gets by Miraz."

Peter frowned, he wasn't swayed by Camille's protest. He was going to attack that castle. "Well," Peter retorted, "if you like, you can stay behind."

"No," Camille said firmly, putting her hands on her hips, "someone has to support the Narnian army." She then turned and left the room.