Chapter 23: Aslan and the River God

The Telmarines flooded out onto the beach of the river. The Narnians closed in behind them as they blocked the enemy from the woods. On the other side, Lucy walked up to the bridge bravely and whipped out her dagger. The Telmarines fidgeted slightly and Lord Sopespian looked back at the Narnian army behind them. Peter and Edmund shared a look with each other and then back at the sight. Then, Camille saw a large and magnificent lion walked up to Lucy and stand next to her. After a hesitation, Lord Sopespian gave the command to charge.

With a battle cry, the Telmarines raced towards Lucy and Aslan, but just when they were half-way across, the majestic lion gave a mighty roar. The Telmarines froze as the roar vibrated across the bridge and rippled the waters. They watched in fear as the waters began to recede. The Narnians also watched as the water upstream began to form into a river god. The River God rose upright and in a smooth motion, swept towards the Telmarine army who were now trying to flee in terror. Lord Sopespian spurred his horse on to make it across the bridge. When the River God reached the bridge, it paused and looked at Aslan for approval before reaching its hands under the bridge and ripping it out of the water. Camille could see men and horses falling through the broken boards in the bridge. One lone figure stood on the bridge. It was Lord Sopespian! With a roar, the River God engulfed the man and crashed back into water and mist.

Camille smiled warmly and plunged into the river, the others close behind. The Telmarines had surrendered and were dropping their weapons in a pile on the beach.

As Camille wadded over to the other side, she made sure her war dress didn't float up around her legs. As she climbed up the shore, she gazed up at the duo. Lucy stood there smiling at them and the majestic lion, Aslan, was beside them watching the group make their way towards them.

Camille was so excited to see them and so proud of Lucy. Camille ran up to her. "Oh Lucy! You were so brave!" Camille exclaimed.

"As were you, dear one," the majestic lion spoke.

Lucy nodded an agreement as Camille gave the lion respectful curtsy.

"You think so, sir?" Camille asked as she straightened up.

"Absolutely, Your Highnesses." Aslan smiled.

Camille wondered about that. Queen? She was sure she was ready but would she make a good Queen? The small group looked back at the others who were watching the exchange. Then, in one accord, they dropped to their knees and bowed their heads respectfully.

"Rise, Kings and Queens of Narnia," Aslan spoke.

The Pevensies stood but Caspian remained were he was. Camille went over to her brother as Aslan spoke again. "All of you."

Camille went down on one knee and looked at Aslan.

Caspian looked up when the lion said this, then back down. "I do not think I am ready." Caspian countered timidly.

"It is for that very reason that I know that you are," the majestic lion assured.

Caspian stood up, joining the others, then Aslan spoke to Camille.

"Princess Camille of Telmar," the lion addressed her, "you shall be the Lionheart of Narnia." Camille smiled as he said this, then she stood too.

Just then, sad music began playing behind them. The Pevensies and the Telmarine siblings looked down beside them and the group parted for a small band of mice to walk through. They carried Reepicheep on a small stretcher towards the lion.

Camille gasped slightly and watched as Lucy hurried over, pulled out her cordial, and let one drop from the fire flower juice fall into the Reep's mouth. Everyone waited in silence as they watched the mouse. Then Reepicheep gasped and lifted his head.

"Oh, thank you, Your Majesty." Reepicheep breathed, as one of the other mice helped him up. Then Reep noticed Aslan and attempted a bow.

"Oh! Hail, Aslan! It is a great honor to be in..." the mouse's sentence was cut off as he stumbled forward in the attempted bow. Reep looked behind him and noticed his tail was missing. "I am completely out of countenance." The mouse exclaimed covering his tail stump with his hands and backing up. "I must crave your indulgence for appearing in this unseamly fashion."

Lucy and Camille laughed quietly. Then Reepicheep looked up at Lucy's cordial longingly. "Perhaps a drop more?" He asked.

"I don't think it does that," she told him sadly.

"You could have a go," he replied and Aslan chuckled.

"It becomes you well, small one," Aslan smiled.

"All the same, great king," Reep turned to the lion and drew his sword holding it out in front of him. "I regret that I must withdraw, for a tail is the honor and glory of a mouse."

"Perhaps you think too much of your honor, friend."

"Well, it's not just the honor. It's also great for balance." Reep swished his sword. "And for climbing, and grabbing things," Lucy looked at Aslan.

"May it please Your High Majesty," a mouse spoke up "we will not bear the shame of wearing an honor denied to our chief."

The mice all drew their swords and held them to their tails. Then Aslan spoke again, "Not for the sake of your dignity, but for the Love of your people."

All the mice gasped as Reep's tail grew back. Reep grabbed it and turned to his fellow mice. "Look! Thank you, my liege." He turned back and bowed to the lion. "I will treasure it always. From this day forward, it will serve as a great reminder of my huge humility." He sheathed his sword and Lucy laughed as did Camille.

Aslan looked at Lucy. "Now, where is this dear little friend you've told me so much about?" He asked.

The group looked over to where Trumpkin was dealing with the Telmarines who were dropping their swords in the spot he indicated. Sensing all of them looking at him, he turned around and timidly came over. He stuck his sword into the ground and knelt before Aslan. Aslan let out a loud roar, startling the dwarf.

"Do you see him now?" Lucy joked and the others laughed.