Chapter 46

"Mrs Demarco." This arrogant asshole says smugly. 

"Officer Douglas? Am I right?" I ask narrowing my eyes at him.

His partner let's out a soft chuckle.

"I prefer Lieutenant." Douglas says with a plastered smile. "This is my partner, Detective Neil." Douglas waves his hand to the detective looking around the place until he eventually looks to me with a small smile playing on his lips.

"Hi." I say curtly.

"So what can I get you officers today?" I ask purposely.

They both chuckle. Douglas shakes his head looking down at me with a smile. "Just like your husband, I see." He says with an impressed look.

"And just like my husband I feel I should remind you.. we do not sell doughnuts here."

They chuckle again and I look over my shoulder noticing Maria had just answered the telephone.

"Kara dear, it's a customer." She says.

"Excuse me, you welcome to shop around if you like." I offer knowing full well they not here for merchandise I sell.

"Angeli-" I'm cut off as soon as the name leaves my mouth.

"Karalina, don't say a word. Pretend I'm a client." Leonardo's voice comes through the line.

"Hi, Mrs porter." I say and glance to the men from under my lashes as they wait for the call to end.

"Don't say anything, okay? You don't know shit. No matter what they ask about any any thing! You pretend to be surprised. I know you not that good of an actress." He says causing my mouth to fall open, but I immediately close it again gulping as the cops watch me. "But please try to keep a poker face." Leonardo says sternly.

"Definitely. I have your order under control." I say to Leonardo.

"Try to get them out of there as soon as possible, Fock I should've listened to my Padre. I shouldn't even be speaking with you over the focking phone." He says annoyed, though I think it's more with himself.

"Okay, have a great day." I say with a high pitch tone and end our call.

I felt slightly irritated at his words, knowing full well Juan doesn't want me working in the City. 'Work from home.' He kept pushing in the most polite way he could.

"We were just wondering if you've seen anything suspicious around here? There were a few murders and drug busts lately around these parts." Lieutenant Douglas brings me out of my thoughts.

"What?" I ask surprised at his questions.

"Well these guys have been seen around associates of your husband's."

"Associates?" I ask curiously.

"Yes, I'm sure if I show you some of these pictures.." He says taking out something from the inside of his jacket pocket. "Im positive your husband knows them actually." He says as if I will wilfully answer him.

I stop him by holding up my hand. "Are you even allowed to be asking me these questions?"

"Well, why not. They just questions, you a business owner. It should be in your interest for your safety in this vicinity." His trying to play me.

"Yo yo yo yo. Stop the train. Will you?" Lenny comes running in out of breath. "Hah." He let's out an exaggerated breath. "What are you gentlemen doing here? Last time I checked, this place didn't sell-"