Chapter 21: Protection

Disclaimer: I don't own Fairy Tail!

Anyway! Thanks for reading my story!

Enjoy!

NATSU'S POV

I'm such an idiotic, moronic, shit head. I can't believe I didn't remember that Lucy doesn't have her whip or keys. Keys. The magic she uses for her health. The magic she uses for her safety. I forgot she doesn't have that. And I was about to let her fight. No. I can't have that. I have to protect her! I have to protect Lucy.

Lucy just stared into my eyes, looking down sadly. "Lucy" I mumbled. She didn't look up. "Lucy" I said louder and more forceful, but she still did not look up. I huffed in annoyance. We don't have much time and yet here she was, being difficult. I grab her chin and force her to look into my eyes. "Next time" I started. "Tell me you don't have your whip or keys" I said with narrowed eyes. I could see that this frightened her a bit, but she needed to know that this was important.

I took a deep breath and let her go.

"Ok Lucy. Stay behind me. I'll protect you"

LUCY'S POV

"Ok Lucy. Stay behind me. I'll protect you." This one statement almost ended my life. Keyword being almost. I had gotten distracted. Natsu had once again successfully distracted me. Granted, he usually only distracts me at the guild or my house, but this time it was right before a battle. A battle that was life-or-death.

I felt my face burning up. I only had eyes or Natsu, so I didn't sense an object come flying my way. I didn't sense the way Natsu tensed up. It all seemed to play in slow motion for me.

I was shaken out of my thoughts when Natsu quickly turned and was facing me. His eyes were slowly getting bigger as he stared at something behind me. I saw his hands move toward me. And then it all crashed down hill.

Natsu pushed me as fast as he could. He had pushed me as hard as he could. Except, he didn't make it. It had hit me. It was a sword. Someone had once again thrown a sword. This time they hit their mark.

Just under my ribs, there was a gash. Crimson blood flowed out of it. I gasped in pain, keeping my scream inside me. I didn't want to worry Natsu even more now. He already looked like he was crushed. The sword hadn't gotten stuck in my stomach, but it had created a deep gash on the side.

"Natsu..." I whispered. He stared at me with wide eyes, yet not seeing anything. He was in shock.

"I... I..." He stuttered, breathing quickly. "Nat-" I didn't get to finish because Natsu interrupted. "I didn't... I didn't keep my..." he was having trouble finishing his sentence. He was so shaken up. I painfully push myself up, so I could stare straight into his eyes. I took his cheek in one hand and caressed it. "I'm fine, Natsu" I said, forcing a smile on my lips. He shook his head, looking at my wound. I sighed loudly, thinking of a way to get him to agree. That's when I thought of it.

I gently smile and lean toward him. He's always the one to keep me stable. He's the one to always save me. He's the one that never lets me fall. I think of all the good and bad times I've had at Fairy Tail. He was in every single one of them. There was none without him. He was my nakama. My family. The love of my life. And that's when our foreheads met. I closed my eyes and kept my head there for a minute. The people weren't attacking us. I guess they wanted to see how this played out.

"I believe in you Natsu" I whispered and then I pressed my lips to his.

NATSU'S POV

I felt her caress my cheek. She was trying to reassure me. I felt so broken. I couldn't protect Lucy. I said I would but immediately failed right after. I could only stare at her and stutter my way through the sentences I was trying to force out. "I'm fine, Natsu" She said. I didn't believe her though. Who would? I could see the pain in her eyes. I shook my head, looking at the huge gash on her side. I was too slow to prevent that. It was all my fault. I heard Lucy sigh loudly. She slowly leaned down and touched her forehead to mine. Her eyes were closed and she stayed like that for a minute. "I believe in you" she said. And then I felt the most amazing feeling ever.