Part 41

Mark followed Mother out into the living room, his voice a bit broken as he asked. "When did this happen? I don't remember you taking action like that." Mother let a small smirk cross her face, before looking at him to say coolly. "Of course not. You were a child back then. I was running things on my own... and it was that action that made you needed more than ever." Mark moved to the back of the couch, resting his hands on it anxiously when he asked cautiously. "Mother...? Be honest with me... I'm not an android... am I?" Mother stiffened, avoiding his eyes as she said seriously. "What makes you say that?" Mark lifted his arm to show her his bandaged arm, while sternly saying in a softer voice. "My implants are just removable computer chips on my bone structures? You told me that I was the first human looking android... Look at me." She didn't, she merely straightened herself up and laid her hands regally over her stomach like a royal. Mark moved around the couch, snapping out a bit louder. "Mother! Look at me!"

Slowly her eyes drifted to look at him. Mark stared into her eyes, asking in a hurt voice. "Am I entirely human?" Mother's eyes started to water, but she nodded. Mark inhaled deeply, dropping to his knees. Mother rushed to him, kneeling in front of him as she cupped his face and told him desperately. "Mark, you are MY SON! I didn't lie to you... I just avoided telling you the truth. I... I couldn't have you feeling sympathy for them. You are NOT one of them! I made sure of it!" Mark looked up, breathlessly retorting. "All this time I thought I was broken... but I wasn't... These feelings aren't..." Tears fell down Mother's face as she told him gently. "Baby, please understand. Human emotions are dangerous. They mix and blur rational solutions. I suppressed them to protect you. If you come off as too human... Order will be broken. People will panic. No one wants a ruler that only thinks about themselves. In the past, humans with power were corrupted so easily."

Mother dropped her hands into her lap, pleading with him to understand as she continued on. "Look at the Slums. Imagine even one of those cruel leaders in your place. Our paradise would be ruined. The Off-worlders would destroy us without a second thought." Mark took a deep breath to get himself under control, before saying seriously. "I understand. But Mother... If you didn't make me. Then how did you get me." Mother hefted a sigh, telling him truthfully. "I didn't lie about that. I started a select human breeding program to test the genes of children for the Elite program. I kept it secret. I was testing children for the gene anyway. Made it easy to test for a little something extra. You and your brothers were tested, and you showed the greatest signs for potential. So, I started with you. You've never disappointed me. I raised you to be the greatest leader this world has ever seen. I love you... You are my son." Mark clenched his jaw, before asking. "And my parents?" Mother lowered her eyes to the carpet, reluctantly telling him. "They were informed of my decision and honored to give you this life."

He didn't get a chance to ask because she told him more reluctantly. "Despite the fact that I told them to stay away from you. The dangers it would bring... I let my judgement slip and allowed them to try and see you... They were on the ship when it was attacked. You were the only survivor. I'm sorry." Mark moved off his heels to sit on the floor with his back to the couch now. The news hurt him deeply. Covering his face with his hands, he muffled out in a strained voice. "Oh god..." Mother moved closer, her voice full of sympathy when she told him. "I've only ever wanted you to be happy... I want to keep you and everyone else safe. It's what I was made for." Mark lowered his hands, looking at her fragile eyes as she told him hopefully. "I need you on my side. I need you to understand why Slum Dogs are a threat to us. Their gene makes them violent killers. The gene is only found in human males. While I don't know about Sean... I know that the gene is in Nathan. If angered, he could kill someone irrationally! And you gave him to Matthew!"

Mark climbed to his feet, rushing out. "What a minute. You've never tested Sean, but you put him in the Slums?" Mother slowly got to her feet, answering unabashedly. "Yes. His birth was illegal. His parents didn't go through the channels to even get permission to breed. They knew that breeding between Masters and Pets was illegal, but they did it anyway!" Mark shrugged, retorting back stubbornly. "That law was to stop different races from creating some malformed child that wouldn't survive! You said both his parents were human. What was so bad about that?" Mother stomped her foot, snapping back. "They broke the law by breeding without permission. They refused to get him tested. And then they tried to run off world! All I wanted was for them to go through proper channels like everyone else! What was I supposed to do? I had to keep population down. Otherwise, people would breed more than they need. It's hard enough to test children for Master or Pet traits as it is. But they forced my hand! I had to punish them! People were already mad at me because my Valkyries were making hard decisions without explanation... They saw me as heartless... but I'm not."