Part 62

Sean relaxed in the passenger side of the car. He couldn't describe how happy he was to be out of the stuffy hospital. It was starting to feel like a fancy cage. He couldn't wait to get back to a normal bed, instead of Mark's bed whenever Mark was wake and working through viral chats and holograms. After catching him sleeping on the stiff benches in the room, Mark had insisted that during the day that he'd sleep on the bed in his room. The nurses and doctors always protested it but Mark had ignored them. There were some moments that Sean thought he felt Mark running his hand through his hair while he slept. He didn't know for sure though. Grabbing his collar, Sean played with it as he looked at Mark discreetly. There were times that he thought Mark remembered him, but most of the time he didn't. Whenever Matthew visited, he believed that Mark was improving though. He was recalling more and more every day. Even if he was still a shadow to him, the background was clearing up enough that it showed improvement. It was something.

Even if he didn't remember him... Mark still loved having him around. He had grown to love him all over again between their long talks about how they met and what they did together. The more they talked, the more it helped him fill in gaps. Mark pulled out of the parking lot and after they got onto the main road, Mark's hand drifted to rest on Sean's thigh. Smiling, Sean released his collar and put his hand on Mark's. Mark had taken up a habit of touching him whenever he wasn't able to look at him. He wouldn't tell him why, but Sean didn't really care. Entwining his fingers with his, he kept ahold of him. Sean closed his eyes, enjoying the rush of wind across his face with the top down on the car. It was a cloudy day, but to Sean it felt like it was going to be a beautiful day. After a little bit, Mark clicked on the autopilot, turning in his seat to look at him. Sean avoided his eyes with a smile, chuckling out softly. "You never use autopilot... Are you feeling tired?"

Mark hefted a sigh, before telling him honestly. "Just a little. What about you? You were up all night watching me, weren't you?" Sean bit his lip, watching the buildings pass as he coolly said. "I've napped between your meetings. Besides, I'm used to not getting much sleep. It's an old habit. So, if you want me to drive just pull over." Mark chuckled softly beside him, then replied in a buttery voice. "Sean? Look at me." Grazing his teeth across his lower lip, Sean formed his lips into a small smile and turned his head. Staring into his eyes, Mark leaned in to kiss him. The kiss was brief but filled with an innocent passion. When Mark pulled back, he asked him curiously. "If you don't want to do this, tell me now. I do recall that Bradley is one of the leaders and that he-" Sean turned away, causing Mark to stop talking. Staring off at the buildings in the distance, Sean told him flatly. "Ya... I know. But you see... You're the one who told me that fearing him only gives him more power over me. To get over him... I just have to remind myself how I strong I am."

Mark's free hand touched his shoulder, drawing his attention back to him. Giving him a smile, Mark told him in a serious tone of voice. "You are the strongest person that I know. You don't need me to save you. I'm going to protect them from you. Power corrupts you know." Sean couldn't help laughing, then leaned in against Mark's chest. Mark squeezed his entangled fingers, whispering to him warmly. "I wasn't there for the first two times... but I'll be there for this one." Sean tilted his head up to kiss Mark's neck, sweetly retorting. "Mark... You've always been there when I needed you. It's ME that gets YOU into trouble." Mark chuckled, stating back. "True. But my life isn't boring with you around." Sean hugged Mark, enjoying how Mark's free hand rubbed the back of his neck to keep him close. Mark kissed the top of his head, saying sweetly. "Thank you for sticking around." Sean sat up a little to look at Mark, telling him honestly. "It's not in my nature to leave someone I love behind."

Mark blinked with a sudden distant look, his hand going to the collar to run his fingers across it. Sean could tell by now that Mark was remembering something. Every time he got that distant look in his eyes, Sean's heart skipped as he waited to see what he remembered. Staying very still, Sean did nothing that would take Mark from the memory. After a minute, Mark smiled and told him happily. "I believe you. You refused to leave Nate behind when I let you go." Sean huffed a little, correcting gently. "That was part of it... but I had faith that you'd free him. The only real reason I couldn't leave... was because I couldn't leave you behind." Mark pulled Sean into a long kiss and Sean savored it. The only thing that broke it was the sudden change from light to dark as the autopilot took them into another covered parking lot. Breaking the kiss, Sean sat properly back in his seat. Mark squeezed his hand, telling him calmly. "Ready?" Sean took a deep breath to calm himself and nodded.