Part 54

Sean paced the container just to do something while he thought. It helped him block out the replaying songs of the mind-numbing baby films. Glancing around, he tried to think of a way to get out. There had to be a way. His eyes drifted to the counter where the nutrient blocks sat. As hungry as he was, he kept telling himself to resist them. His stomach growled in protest, causing him to take a knee before he collapsed. Being hungry was starting to affect him. He needed to find a way out before he was too weak to move or concentrate. He checked everything in the container and only grew more irritated. Everything was bolted to the floor or wall. There was nothing he could break off or use to try prying open the door. He refused to lose hope, but his heart was sinking. Dropping beside the bed, Sean began to rip off the sheets to look over the mattress. There had to be something! However, the mattress was built into the frame to keep it from being removed.

Dropping back on his ass, Sean began kicking the heel of his bare foot against the frame. He needed to hit something, and this was the safest thing. Over and over, he kicked it and yelled in anger. Banging his head back against the counter, he panted in defeat. Closing his eyes, he tried to calm his breathing. The more he thought of this place as a cage, the smaller it felt. He wanted to see the sky and fell the breeze again. Opening his eyes, he whispered out to himself. "Mark... Whatever you are doing... Please hurry." The lights in the container suddenly flickered, causing the hair on Sean's arms to stand up. That had never happened before. Sitting up slowly, Sean looked at the TV screen that was in the middle of its song for the day. Every few seconds the screen glitched as the lights dimmed weakly. Something was happening. Getting to his feet, he watched as the screen lost power and the lights dimmed so low that they sent everything into an eerie darkness.

Sean gripped the counter blindly in a death grip. He wasn't good with the dark. Let alone dark confined spaces. In the other containers, he could hear men screaming or asking why the power was gone. Listening to them made his own panic rise. Sliding down to sit with his back to the counter, he hugged himself and tried to block out everything. Shaking his head, he closed his eyes and tried to imagine himself in Mark's house. Within the darkness, the audio for the songs began to play again but it was distorted and creepy sounding. Taking a deep breath, he forced himself to look around. All he saw was darkness. He didn't want to move. His fear was paralyzing him. He heard a door unlock and his heart leapt. Jerking his head to the door, he watched it open slowly. The soft light of a building crept into the container before a blinding light was aimed at his face. He barely saw the dark silhouette of someone before his vision blurred. The person stepped inside, and Sean asked the person softly. "Mark?"

The door closed behind the person, before the familiar voice stated out. "No. Try again, Sean." Sean's blood ran cold as he blindly scooted away, and he uttered out scarcely. "Bradley... I thought..." The light turned off, sending them both into darkness, forcing Sean to listen to him to know where he was. Bradley stayed by the door, telling him in a cool tone of voice. "Oh, I know what you thought. But what you don't seem to understand is that the Red Cyclones have always had rich connections. With the Trader. And through the Trader... With the Elites. Matthias mostly. But surely you know all about Elite Mark paying us to remove you from the Slums?" Sean huffed a little, saying honestly. "Ya. I know. He told me." Bradley was silent a few seconds, before grumbling out disgusted. "Wow. You must have sunk really low to think that is no big thing." Sean glared blindly in the direction of Bradley, snapping out. "You can't sink lower than the Slums. And you are not going to turn me against him. He came for me once. What makes you think he won't do it again?"

Bradley chuckled, telling him flatly. "Because this isn't my plan. It's Elite Matthias's. I do this and guess who gets to be king of the Slums again." Sean shook his head, stating out sternly. "You're a fool, Bradley. Elite Matthias doesn't care about you and your gang. You're a Slum dog. He'll get rid of you eventually." Bradley's voice came from a lower spot like he had kneeled down, before regaling to him in a nicer voice. "Still so much spirit after everything I did to you." Sean turned his head away, desperate not to think about that. Bradley's voice came closer, whispering to him. "It didn't have to be like this, you know. When I offered you a place in my gang. I meant it." Sean shook his head, grumbling out through his teeth. "I'm no one's whore. Let alone yours." Bradley chuckled, then cooed out smugly. "Well, I got to have you for a little while... What would you call that?" Sean locked his jaw and blindly swung a fist at Bradley's voice. To his surprise, Bradley grabbed his hand easily like he could see in the dark.