Part 4

In the highest tower of Valhalla, Mark sat still in a large gel cushioned chair. Even though his eyes were closed, his mind was reading through months of information on world history. His fingers scrolled over a sphere built into the arm of the chair, allowing him to navigate into more details or change to new subjects. He was just about to access another volume, when the chair shut off. Mark opened his eyes reluctantly, waiting for his eyes to adjust back to reality as a soft feminine voice spoke to him casually. "My apologies for interrupting you, Elite Fischbach. However, if you don't mind. I wish to speak to you." Mark sat up, rubbing his eyes as he politely answered. "Don't apologize, Hestia. What's wrong?" A solid hologram materialized in front of him in the form of a beautiful red headed woman in gold robes and blazing white eyes. She tilted her head like a concerned mother, before asking with worry. "Min sonn, is your mental state healthy?" Mark allowed himself to chuckle just a little, upon informing her casually. "Yes. Why do you ask?"

Hestia looked him over closely, then told him bluntly. "You haven't moved from that chair in the last eight hours. You've read over eight hundred volumes on histories across the galaxy. As much as I love your dedication to learn... It concerns me. You never used to log so many reading hours... What has changed?" Mark stiffly climbed out of the chair to stretch, sweetly telling her. "Nothing. I'm simply working. There are a lot of off world delegates arriving today. I simply wish to be knowledgeable in their ways." Hestia crossed her slender arms, raising an accusing eyebrow at him. As the most highly advanced artificial intelligence in the universe, fooling her was not an easy task. Mark cleared his throat, reluctantly admitting to her in a low tone of voice. "Alright. You win. I'm trying to avoid Matthew and Matthias. They want me to go to the pet auction this evening." Hestia walked closer to him, shrugging as she asked him. "You do not wish to join them?" Mark exhaled heavily, brushing his long brown bangs away from his face.

For a moment he thought about not answering, but as she was his maker, she was the only person he could really open up too. Facing her, he openly admitted in a weary voice. "I don't see their fascination with them. Keeping up with these trendy pets over nothing more than for showcasing wealth... It's a waste. It's boring." Hestia gave a small shrug, retorting casually. "You didn't used to think so. What has changed your mind? Was it something you read?" Mark shook his head, adjusting the cuff of his jacket sleeve, when he replied respectfully. "No. Nothing like that. It's just... I don't know. I feel like my life has become stagnant. Predictable." Hestia uncrossed her arms to touch his shoulder, her smile as bright and warm as the sun as she said. "You work too hard. I appreciate the company, but I can run Valhalla without you for a bit. Why not go to the pet auction? My data shows some really exotic ones this year. Maybe a pet will be good for you?"

Mark shook his head, pushing her hand off careful as he told her firmly. "I don't need a pet. They just do what they are told... and breeding them doesn't do anything for me anymore." There was a flash of blue light as a man stepped off the teleporter in the corner of the room. Mark groaned softly to himself, turning to look away as the man approached. Beside him, Hestia straightened up proudly, discreetly whispering to him. "Be polite to your brother." Matthew stopped short of them, giving a bow that Hestia returned. After which, he addressed them nicely. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything?" Hestia shook her head and Mark slowly turned around to face him. The burden of being the oldest of the Elites was that he was the only one that could communicate with Hestia. Matthew smiled to Hestia nervously, then told Mark more expectantly. "I came to get you. The showcase just opened and-" Mark let out an annoyed groan. He was tired of this conversation.

Matthew followed him back to the chair, rushing out to him hopefully. "Mark, before you zone out on me. Hear me out. The pet auction isn't my specialty, it's yours. You know these off world pets and their needs... Please? I'd take Matthias, but he's running sector security right now. Don't make me go alone... I can't even speak half the languages of these people." Mark removed the sphere to put back into the slot on the side of the chair. The sphere was sucked into a tube that took it back to the library archives. Hestia wondered to his side, staring him down with those motherly eyes of hers. Matthew was the youngest of the Elites and Hestia always had a weakness for him. Clenching his jaw, he rolled his eyes and growled out to Matthew over his shoulder. "Fine. I'll go with you, but only because I don't want you making a fool of yourself." Matthew grinned with excitement, straightening himself up proudly with a swift nod of acknowledgement. Mark gestured for Matthew to head back to the teleporter.