Chapter 17

ELIZABETH

I wasn't prone to patting myself on the back, but this party was actually pretty spectacular. Though I really had very little to do with it. I simply put Wanda and Michael on it and approved their decisions. So, I guess it really wasn't me. But I was proud anyway.

People were pouring through the doors. I was told this party was considered the "it" place to be for the evening. Everyone wanted to partake in Roland Sanders and his new venture. I'd been so focused on my work (and trying to forget about Harry) that I really hadn't availed myself to understanding just how much of a name he really was.

I felt someone come up behind me just as I looked down to see an arm offering me a glass of champagne,

"Cristal..." I heard Michael's voice say.

I took the glass from him,

"Well it's good to know you didn't spare any expense."

He scoffed as he took a sip from his own glass,

"Have you met me?" He shrugged, "Besides it was free."

"Free?" I asked in shock.

He nodded,

"How would it look for a human rights law firm to throw a huge party that cost thousands? Everything in here was free. I can be very persuasive."

I glanced at the head of the room where someone was playing a huge piano,

"Who's playing the piano?"

"Harry Connick, Jr." Michael answered without missing a beat. When I raised my eyebrows in shock, he scoffed again, "Have you met the man you work for?"

I shrugged,

"Harry Connick, Jr. is significant."

"So is Roland Sanders. Did you see his fiancee? She's running around here somewhere. Melanie Burton is a name in her own right."

"How so?"

"She's a doctor." Michael answered, "Not just any doctor. She discovered a new procedure...saved like...a ton of lives. Considered the most brilliant in her field."

I glanced at Roland who just entered the room. I was happy for him. Melanie seemed to be quite the upgrade from my mother. It had taken him long enough to find her. I always sort of felt like he'd pine after my mother for the rest of his life. It was nice to see he'd finally given up on her ever returning his affections in the same way.

Melanie looked like a force to be reckoned with. Just the type of woman you would expect Roland Sanders to marry. Again, I was happy for him.

I turned to look at Michael. I gave him a tight smile before taking a sip of my champagne.

---------------------

"You've outdone yourself, Elizabeth." Roland told me again for the third time in the last 15 minutes. He gestured around with his outstretched arm, "I mean honestly...it's just so impressive how well your team did."

We were standing off to the side at the front of the room waiting for Roland to welcome everyone and give our coming out speech. I wasn't nervous, thankfully I didn't have to do any talking.

"All I did was approve things."

Roland shook his head. He reached out to put his hand on mine,

"One day you're going to take a compliment without insulting yourself first." He said as his eyes bore into mine.

I hated it when he did that. Harry used to do it too.