Turn 7

I don't know how long I was unconscious for, but the first thing realised as I started coming round was a dull aching in my rib cage, and that my head felt a bit fuzzy.

My eyes opened, but shut quickly, as the sunlight pouring in through the window was blinding. This happened again and again until I got used to the light levels. When my eyes final opened properly, I had to wait a second for my vision to become clear as everything was blurry. But I could make out two fuzzy silhouettes. One was right next to me, head down, the other was stood by the window.

As my vision cleared, I saw that it was Crow who was stood by the window and to my amazement Yusei was the one who had his head resting right next to me, on my bed. He was facing me, but his eyes were shut. He must have fallen asleep. I smiled softly, with affection.
Then I remembered where I must have been. I was in a hospital bed. I remembered diving to save Yusei from being hit by Akiza. Yusei and Crow had lifted a set of metal draws off of me. I remembered Yusei holding me close, crying, begging me to stay with him. I had to wake him.

"Yusei?" I said, my throat was dry, and sore, so it was not audible. I tried to gather some saliva and tried again. This time sound came out. It didn't wake Yusei, but Crow did turn around.

"Don't wake him." Crow said, "He refused to go home and rest. He was up all night. He fell asleep only a couple of hours ago. Let him rest for now." He then reached over my head. I heard a click, Crow had pressed the call button.

"How long have I been out?" I asked hoarsely.

"About a day and a half." Crow answered, "The doc's said your head took a good knock but there wasn't any lasting damage. They did a full body x-ray and discovered that you have three cracked ribs on your right side. They said you were luckily. It could have been a lot worse."

"How's Akiza feeling everything after all that happened?" I asked, just noticing that the sleeping Yusei was holding my hand, as he squeezed it as he slept.

"She feels guilty about the accident. She'd be here right now be she had to take off to her uni classes for the day." Crow explained, "She's going to ring when she has a chance. But she is also very concerned about Yusei."

"Has he been very worked up about it?" I inferred.

"Yes, but that's not why she's concerned about Yusei." Crow said with a kind smile, "Yusei caused something weird to happen."

"What?" I had clearly forgotten something.

"I left to ring for an ambulance, and when I came back, there was this swirling psychic barrier thingy," Crow explained, "we couldn't get through it. It seemed like it was forming a protective circle around you and Yusei."

"I remember," I crocked, remembering as Crow explained, "I was trying talk him down."

"I thought you were whispering to him." Crow whispered with an excited smile. "Whatever you said worked, and it disappeared. But it looks like our Yusei is a psychic duellist. Also we don't think he knows." 

Just then a nurse and a doctor entered the room.

"Good to see you awake Mr Atlas." the doctor said loud enough that it caused Yusei to wake up. He looked around and saw my open eyes.

"Oh thank goodness, Jack you're awake!" Yusei exclaimed with relief and joy that lit up his face as he stepped aside for the doctor.

"Right, look at my finger." he instructed, as he shone a light in my eyes, moving his finger. "Good." he muttered as he noted something down, then he checked a couple of machines and noted that down too.

"So, what's the verdict doc?" I asked as cavilerly as possible.

"Well, there's definitely no permanent damage, but there was a cut on your head that we had to clean up, but it is fine. You also have three cracked ribs." the doc said, "But, Mr Atlas I am confident that you can leave in a couple of days. But no turbo duelling for a while."

"But we are entered in the WRGP!" Crow exclaimed. "He has to duel."

"But he can't, Mr Hogan." the doc said "Not for at least four to six weeks."

"But the tournament will have ended by the time six weeks is up." Crow moaned.

"It's OK Crow." Yusei said, calmly, "I'm sure we can find someone to cover for Jack while he recovers." It was clear that Yusei hated the idea but he was right. The doctor cleared his throat.

"Anyway, Mr Atlas, we expect you to make a full recovery. But your friends were still very concerned, especially Mr Fudo. He refused to leave your side. You have some very good friends here." Yusei lowered his head to hide a blush. The doctor then left with the nurse. Yusei sat back down.

"Well, I think you two need to talk," Crow said, "so I think I'll go get some coffee."

"Crow wait." Yusei said looking at Crow. I had clearly missed out on something in the last day and half. "What I need to say can wait a moment. We first need to decide who we could ask to cover Jack's ride."

"But that can wait." Crow said.

"No, Yusei's right," I agreed with Yusei with a sad smile, "The WRGP comes first."

"Fine." Crow huffed taking the seat next to Yusei folding his arms.

"For convenience I think we have to ask Akiza again." Yusei said with a frown.

"After what happened," Crow said shaking his head, "I doubt she'll want to. What about Kalin?"

"Nice idea," Yusei said, "but he's all the way over in Satisfaction town still. It'd take about a day and half to get here."

"Remind me," I said, "we have how many days until the WRGP?"

"A day, but our team isn't duelling until the third day." Yusei said.

"Well then, Crow, go call Akiza, ask her. If she says no then ask her to come talk to me. If she still hasn't said yes by tomorrow evening we will call Kalin."

"That's a good plan." Yusei agreed as Crow nodded. I smiled at my friends. They smiled back.

"Then it is decided." I finalised, shocked our leader had let me make the decision. I couldn't dwell on that because just then a very worked up Carly Carmine burst into the room and glared at Yusei with fury.