Turn 15

I placed the duffle bag on the sink so that I didn't have to bend down too far, because bending was causing my ribs to ache and I wanted to avoid making the damage any worse. I unzipped it. Yusei, who when he packed his own bag just threw his stuff in and proclaimed he was done, had appeared to have taken extreme care packing this duffle bag. Everything in it was put neatly in a place. It was clear he had spent a lot of time and care on this activity.

I saw he had place a pair of my white and grey boots to the bottom end, which were resting against, but not on top of, one of my pale blue button up shirts that was folded to look like a shop assistant had done it, underneath I found a pair a medium grey jeans, one of my custom belts which had a silver circular buckle with my last initial on it. Next down were some plain underwear of course, and a pair of plain white socks. At the bottom of the bag Yusei had placed one of my looser jackets that stopped just below my waist, it was white, like most of the coats and jackets I owned. Obviously the clothing that Yusei had picked out were chosen to cause as little pressure as possible, while providing support if I needed it due to the way I always tucked my shirts in. The fact that Yusei had taken this much care packing for me touched me. It was such a subtle display of his affection, that only he and I would know about. I looked in the mirror and saw that there was a small tear in one of my violet eyes.

Since I had showered earlier due to my early start, I carefully removed the powder blue hospital gown I had on and rested it on one of the hand rests. I then reached into the duffle bag for the shocks, boxers, boots and the jeans, sitting down on the toilet to put them on, to reduce the distance I had to bend to get them on. I pulled my boxers and trousers up as I stood carefully back up. I then went back to the sink. I took the shirt out of the bag and gingerly shrugged into it before buttoning it up leaving the top three buttons undone as normal. As I lifted the jacket from the bottom of the bag, I heard two metallic thuds. I looked down. First I saw my normal 'A' initial neckless, then I saw something next to it with a tag tied to it. I shrugged into the jacket, which zipped up. I left it loose and turned the collar up around my neck, before putting my signature neckless on. Then I picked up the second object that had the tag attached.

It was a choker, but I'd been told the paramedics had lost my original. But this choker, outwardly looked just like the one that had been lost, but my original didn't have a lining to it. This one did, and it was of a soft shade of blue. The material felt like smooth velvet. It had the same simple fastening as my original choker as well. I took the tag in my fingers and read:

Jack, I know you feel naked when you aren't wearing a choker, and since you look like something is missing to your look with out one, I thought I would buy you a replacement for the one that was lost. Consider it a get well soon gift.

Yusei.  x

P.S. It is only fair that you wear one, since I have no choice but to wear one myself.

"Oh, Yusei, you softie." I whispered, staring at the note. "Only you could wave your feelings off with a good quip." I fixed my gift in place on my neck, letting my fingers linger on it, as I admired myself in the mirror for a moment. I looked like myself again, not some hospital patient.

I found Yusei lent on the wall by the window, arms crossed, his jagged facility mark facing the room as he was looking out of the window at the city below. I had to try really hard not to stare at Yusei, because of Carly, as the sunlight was casting a glow around Yusei. I cleared my throat.

Carly and Yusei both turned toward me and smiled, both with caring looks on their faces. Yusei obviously risking it because Carly was stood closer me then he was and wasn't even looking his way.

"So, how do I look?" I asked, my arms held out from the elbow, with a joking smile.

"Amazing." Carly sighed, cupping her face in her hands, before rushing me with a careless hug. I gasped hard in pain. Yusei crossed the room in three steps and tapped Carly on the shoulder, a stoney look on his face.

"Carly, don't me so careless," Yusei scolded her calmly as she stepped back and saw me holding the ribs she had jostalled, "Jack's ribs are still cracked, they still have a long way to go before they are healed. If you want to hug him, please don't just rush him, it may make things worse."

"I'm so sorry, Jack," she wailed nodding at Yusei's statment, looking like she was about to cry, "you know I wouldn't hurt you on purpose. I just got carried away."

"I know, Carly." I gasped straightening myself back up, still holding my rib cage, wondering if her statement would hold true if she found out about Yusei now being my boyfriend, "We all get carried away sometimes, it happens. Shall we get out of here?" Yusei nodded as he passed behind me to pick up the duffle bag and placed my belongings that had been dotted around the hospital private room into it. He also picked his brimmed hat back up.

"Come on, let's get you home, Jackie." Carly practically sang as she started to march toward the door. I caught Yusei rolling his eyes. I smiled, still in too much pain to laugh. I followed Carly, Yusei walking next to me, but making sure the gap between us looked like that of a concerned friend. Carly was happily chattering away, as normal, but I wasn't listening to her, and I was sure Yusei didn't care for what she was saying either. I think the jist was something about a scoop she was trying to get.

"We will get a chance to be alone right?" I whispered the question to Yusei so the still chattering Carly didn't hear.

"Depends on her." Yusei answered just as quietly, scowling at Carly, "Why?"

"Because I want to thank you properly." I smiled at him.

"So you like the replacement choker then?" Yusei whispered back. 

"No." I whispered mockingly, "I adore it." I mentally kicked myself, I just sounded so gay. I mean we both knew I was, but still, I just had to say something that cringy. Yusei was shaking his shoulders with quiet laughter.

"It's so hard for me to not kiss you for that." Yusei whispered, letting his gloved fingers brush quickly against the back of my hand, "but that will have to do for now."

"Not as good." I pouted.

"I know." Yusei smiled at me. We feel silent and followed Carly through the hospital to her car, which was still the same small model it had been when I'd last seen it, maybe with a few fresh dents. Yusei didn't resist as Carly sat me in the front passenger seat, and forced him into the back. She climbed into the driver's seat and started to drive very carefully back to Crow, Yusei, and my place, on the Satellite side of the bridge.