Chapter Nine

He was surrounded; it felt like there was no escape. Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide.

"Nick!"

"Nick!"

"Nick!"

"Nick!"

And he didn't want one either.

The mob of screaming girls sent a traditional thrill down his spine as he signed autographs outside the venue. There was always that feeling of shock, that so many loved him for the music he helped create. Despite what so many thought, he never once, took that for granted. Especially now. It always amused him that a signature could make people so happy, and he never really got how that whole thing got started long before his time. Finally, security came, ushering him on towards the tour bus that was waiting for him. The others were already ready to leave.

"Sorry guys, we got a long drive tonight so Nick's got get going."

"NICK I LOVE YOU!"

Nick beamed, blowing the mass of primarily female fans kisses as he boarded the bus. "I love you guys too! Peace!"

Peeking out the window, he waved to his fans happily. As the bus began to move, he turned to his laptop, waiting faithfully upon the table in the kitchen. It'd been a couple months since his tearful confession to the man who was in essence his big brother, and all in all the fight to make everything still seem normal was going well.

However, since Leighanne and Baylee weren't due to join the tour for another ten tour dates; Brian had been sharing a bus with Nick. It seemed he wasn't ready to give up just yet. Rather than debate it, Nick simply let him. It seemed more normal if he didn't fight it, or so went his line of logic. He couldn't wait for Baylee and Leighanne to join them though. Not only would it get Brian to finally use his own bus, but then he'd be able to bond again with his favorite pseudo nephew. He hadn't done it as recently as he'd have liked and wanted to hang out with him again. Hanging out with the kids, who saw so much more with Nick but said far less about it was a great way to help Nick feel like himself again. To make him feel less like damaged goods and more like a person.

Nick sighed, checking his email.

You Have 1 New Message

Clicking his way through, a smile appeared. It was from Kevin.

Little Man,

I thought I'd drop a line to see how you're doing. I do keep up on the internet, and while you look happy, I know you well enough to know that may be a complete act for the fans. I won't break my word and tell the fellas. But you do need to tell them. Brian's less suspicious but he still hasn't given up and keeps wondering why I did. Am I really that anal and stubborn? I'll see if I can't stop at one of the shows. Keep me up to date on how you're doing. And make sure to let your family know soon. You can't hide forever, and I bet you could use us. Don't shut everyone out and only let me in cause I'm not with you everyday.

Worried as always,

Kev

"Whatcha up to Nick?" He quickly closed out the email, bringing up Google instead just for a cover. Brian was walking up to him as the bus moved further and further from the mass of still screaming fans.

"Not much, just bored, we've got an all night ride right?"

Brian nodded. "Yeah, down to Ohio. I mentioned it this morning."

He shrugged. "After awhile it blends." Nick grinned. "I brought my Wii 3.0 on the bus, wanna go play it? I've got the new Mario Kart..."

"No thanks. You've been acting weird."