Seventeen.

[17]

"Thank you."

Beck's eyebrows furrowed. "For what?"

"For doing this," Jade said, motioning towards the garden and picnic. "Nobody's ever done something like this for me before."

Beck felt a pang in his chest. "Why not?"

She shrugged. "I don't know...I guess because nobody ever likes me enough to do things like this."

The Canadian let out an inaudible sigh. This was going to be harder than he thought.

"Well," he spoke softly. "I'm glad that I'm your first."

She gave him a small smile, and he tried not to completely melt under her gaze.

Damn that perfect smile.

He quickly tidied up the food back into the basket and stood up, taking it back to his car, while Jade followed him.

After getting in the car and driving back to Jade's place, the goth turned to look at him.

"I appreciate all the things you've done for me," she said, blue eyes staring into brown. "But...why?"

"Why what?"

"Why are you being so...I don't know, nice to me?"

I'm not doing this for you, he thought to himself silently. I'm doing this for money.

But of course, he didn't say that.

Instead he answered smoothly, "because you deserve it, that's why."

She seemed quite satisfied with that answer, and she slipped out of the car and inside of her house, leaving him alone in his car with his thoughts.

-

"Can I have the money now?" Beck mumbled as he sat down on Tori's couch as he did every day, with a soda in hand.

Andre looked at him. "Not til you actually ask her to be your girlfriend."

"We've only been on a couple of dates," the Canadian said. "I can't ask her to be my girlfriend yet."

The musician shrugged. "Well, when you do ask her, make sure it's romantic. A nice fancy dinner, a walk in the park...chiz like that. Then, boom! Pop the question."

Tori then slammed her soda can against the living room table, standing up angrily. "Okay, I'm done with this! Beck, all you're doing is leading Jade on! This is so wrong, and you two don't even care! Is money really that important to you, Beck?!"

Beck sighed heavily. "I need the money, Tor- "

"Do you really?" Tori asked breathlessly. "Do you really need one hundred and fifty dollars? Where is that gonna get you, huh? Nowhere, Beck. It's gonna get you nowhere. You're going to break Jade's heart, and she doesn't deserve it."

"She's not gonna find out, Tor," Andre tried to reason with the brunette. "It's just a little experiment- "

"Oh my god," Tori groaned, pinching the bridge of her nose in irritation. "You two need help. Seriously. You both need to stop this right now."

Beck rolled his eyes. "No way."

The Latina shot him a sharp glare. "Beck, you are going to call this off right now."

Beck stood up, narrowing his eyes at the brunette. "And if I don't?"

"Then we're not friends anymore," Tori declared, crossing her arms over her chest.

"You can't be serious."

"Oh, I'm serious alright."

Andre and Robbie exchanged a worried look, then looked back at Beck and Tori.

"Fine," Beck said.

Tori let out a sigh of relief. "Okay, so you're gonna call it off?"

The Canadian shook his head. "No. I meant fine, as in we're not friends anymore."

And before anyone could respond, Beck walked out the door, slamming it hard behind him.

------

So sorry for this extremely short chapter!

I hope you enjoyed it nonetheless though :)

Until next time!
~Izzy