TWENTY THREE - The Man In The Hanging Tree

GALE'S POINT OF VIEW

The lashes on my bare back are excruciating, but no where near what (y/n) must be feeling now.

She isn't completely unconscious, but she isn't alert either. She drifts between the two, occasionally groaning in pain if jostled the wrong way, clenching and un-clenching her dainty fists, crying out in agony every few minutes.

But through this all, she doesn't answer my pleas to wake up, to stay with me. I doubt she is even registering my voice, the pain must drown everything else out. I'd do anything to take that pain away from her and inflict it on myself instead.

Seeing her like this makes my heart ache. She jumped in front of the whip, to save me, and yet I don't even know why.

Does this mean she returns my feelings? Was she just protecting me because we are friends? Does she love me?

I know though, if the tables were turned and she were the one on the whipping post in the first place, I would have done exactly what she did in a heartbeat.

A couple of the guys I work with in the mines quickly rush to our aid when everyone else is dismissed from the square. They made a makeshift stretcher for (y/n), and now carry her between them as we make our way to the Everdeen household in Victor's Village.

Mrs. Everdeen is the best, and only, healer in Twelve.

I'm strung between Peeta and Haymitch, my arms around their shoulders. I can't quite walk on my own, the peacekeeper got me pretty good before (y/n) stepped in.

Everyone in our odd little group wears varying expressions of worry as we make our way to the house.

Everyone always liked (y/n), she was, is, a very lovable person. We're all concerned for her, some more than others.

Peeta seems to be mostly in shock as he stares at his best friend, I know he's wishing he got there sooner to stop it.

Katniss leads the group, occasionally turning back to check on a groaning (y/n). "We're almost there." She assures her, though I know (y/n) cannot hear us.

Haymitch, shockingly enough, looks the most distraught in this situation. He looks more sober then I've ever seen him, more worried than I ever thought he could be. He keeps muttering things under his breath too: "We'll have to get Mallory... We'll have to tell her... When she finds out... All my fault... Snow... Should have never won the games..."

None of it makes sense, but then again I never found Haymitch to make much sense any other time.

We finally make it to the Everdeens' house, Katniss shouts some things at her mom and Prim, the table in the kitchen is cleared, (y/n) is set atop it, and the two blonde Everdeens get to work.

"Go to the mayor's house, tell him and Mallory what happened, tell them to get down here fast." Haymitch barks at the two guys who carried (y/n). They nod in understanding and scamper off without another word.

Prim pours some clear liquid on to (y/n)'s welted back, and by her scream of agony I can tell it's some sort of disinfectant. "Katniss, go fill this bowl up with snow." She hands her sister a large bowl, and Katniss leaves without a fuss.

I struggle out of Haymitch and Peeta's hold towards her, stumbling over my own weak knees. "Come on (y/n), please be alright." I plead, nearly falling over as I grip the side of the table.

Haymitch and Peeta grab me before I fall, setting me down on a chair, careful it doesn't touch my own sore back.

"Hey, kid, they're doing whatever they can to help her." Haymitch tells me, eyes wide wit fear. "For now, you just need to sit down so we can help with your wounds too."