Calypso

It was a catastrophe. A mayhem of pure madness and demolition.

Structures were wrecked beyond repair, cars lay blazing, and explosions went off in the distance. Laser beams, blue and gold, whizzed above setting fire to buildings and drowning out the cries of people as they ran past like headless chickens. 

Taking a breath, I chose a random direction and ran in it, trying to spot the aliens that were causing this. On my way, I helped the people I could, mostly the elderly and children separated from their guardians. Half of them were confused to see me, half were terrified. I did my best to soothe and convince them that I was there to help, but never stayed around long enough in one place. I knew I had to keep moving and try to figure out what was happening before I could really do anything. 

I turned a corner and my feet halted immediately at the sight before me. It was the red-head that I had seen through my window. She was standing with her back facing me, two guns held up in her hands, as she shot at an approaching alien. Within the span of a second, the body fell down and she whirled around as if sensing my awe-struck gaze on her.

I held up my hands immediately, and she slightly lowered the guns that had previously been pointing at my face.If she was bothered by my ensemble, she didn't show it. 

"What are you doing out here? Go, get out of the streets!" She barely spared me a glance, already moving ahead.

"Wait!" I blurted, speeding after her.

She merely paused, tilting her head in question and I cleared my throat before speaking in a flawless British accent.

"I'm here to help take down those guys."
I nodded towards the portal in the sky where the aliens were still swarming through.

"What? Do you think dressing up like that is going to be enough?" She raised an eyebrow, looking skeptically at my attire.

I narrowed my eyes, a retort already on my tongue, but before I could say anything in response, a trio of aliens bounded into view behind her. Up close, they were even more scary and ugly. I had to smother the urge to shriek in terror as they chittered and garbled nonsensically while hobbling forward.

Hearing them, the red-head turned back again, guns at the ready, as she aimed. But I didn't give her the chance to shoot. Not when this was the perfect opportunity for me to demonstrate my abilities.

Concentrating on the ground right below their feet, I spoke in my mind.

'Grow.'

At my command, the road underneath them cracked open and vines sprung out, growing at a rapid pace. They swirled around their bodies, encasing them in a tight grip and rendering them immobile.
The aliens struggled in their earthy prison, but I willed the cage to tighten and almost immediately their movements ceased altogether. I didn't know if they were unconscious or just restrained, but I also didn't want to release them to find out.

The woman who had been watching the scene in disbelief whipped her head towards me, staring at me with slightly widened eyes. "Did you do that?"

I didn't contain the smirk that twitched my painted lips. "Told ya I could help."

She didn't say anything in response, instead, reaching up to touch the device in her ear. Her eyes never left me, even as she spoke. "We have got a super in here."

"Super?" I mockingly frowned, not that she could see through my hood. "Where?"

She, however, ignored me, listening into something from the other end. A second later, she nodded at me. "Come."