32. Hospital visits and phone calls

Lennix POV

My stomach twisted seeing his pale body laying still in the hospital bed. The fluorescent lighting doing nothing to take away the sickeningly paper-like look to his skin.

I can feel Jaxon's arms wrap around me from behind as my knees feel like they may buckle under me.

"What happened to him?" I ask trembling in his hold.

He pulled me tighter to him in a hug to calm me. "Jayda shot him." He said and I went tense. "Where is she?" I gritted out.

The cops better have gotten to her before I have the chance to.

She hurt Zander and I'll make her pay.

"The police are out looking for her now. She got away before they showed up at the property, but Zander was lucid enough to tell them what happened."

We sat by his bedside for hours before a doctor came in to address Zander's condition. It was probably the most stressful thing I had experienced in a long time. Not knowing if he will be ok. When he will wake up. If he will be able to come home.

My stomach twisted with anxiety.

The doctor allowed us to stay in the hospital over night. They were cutting back on Zander's medications to let him wake up on his own. It could be anytime between tonight and some time in the following days.

He suffered a gunshot to the abdomen, missing vital organs, but suffering a great deal of blood loss.

They put him in a medically induced coma for 24 hours to ensure they had repaired any damage without him moving and opening up stitches or causing more damage.

With Zander in the hospital and him being missing from work for the last week, Jax had to go into work in the mornings, but he always stopped by the hospital to spend time with Zander while I took a shower and got changed in the evenings.

I had called into work to let them know what happened and was given two weeks off to be with loved ones.

After explaining to Mazie, Jenaka, and Remi what happened, my whole family was here taking shifts, bringing gifts, food, and get well cards to show their love and support.

My grandmother wasn't really onboard with the whole polyamory thing, but she knows me well enough that when I say I love someone, I mean it. I don't take it lightly and Jax and Zander aren't going anywhere if I have anything to say about it.

My parents were shocked, but supportive. My father just made a comment like "guess I'm gunna need a second shotgun." It wasn't funny for the setting and situation and I told him as much, but Jax understood the joke and assured him he won't even need the one.

It was getting late the 4th day on and my phone rang. I was alone in the room with Zander and he still hadn't woken up.

I looked at my phone not recalling the number, but answered regardless.

"Hello?"

"Ms.Mancini?" The voice questioned.

I gave my phone a look before responding "Yes, sir?"

He sounded relieved "Ms.Mancini, I apologize for the delay. We have your lab results back. I'd like to be the first to congratulate you and your partners. Your results show positive for pregnancy. I believe this is the cause for your sudden tiredness and nausea. There's no increase in your white blood cell count so you don't appear to be ill. The fever may have just been a noticeable increase in body temperature, but not a true fever nor due to illness. It happens sometimes in pregnancy. I would like to set up a follow up appointment to check the due date and growth of your baby. You have stopped taking your birth control as we discussed when you came in for the labs, correct?"

I swallowed hard, not sure I heard him right. Turning away from Zander's sleeping form I held my phone a little tighter. "I'm sorry... are you sure the tests were right? I'm pregnant?"

"That is correct. We ran both a blood and a urine test to be sure. They both came out positive. You are pregnant, Ms.Mancini." He said in a kind even tone.

I took a deep breath. "Oh wow. Um.. Is it ok if I call you back to make that appointment? I just... it's not a great time right now." I turned back to see Zander staring back at me. His eyes wide for someone who just woke from a coma.

"Yes, of course, but please do call back within the next few days. You were on that prescription for such a long time that I want to be sure to date your pregnancy and follow up appropriately."

I hung up the phone still staring into Zander's beautiful green eyes.

"Hey, Zander." I whispered afraid if I spoke too loudly I'd find myself just waking from another dream.

A soft surprised smile crossed his lips "you're pregnant?" He asked. A note of joy and love laced the word pregnant and my heart grew at the sound of his acceptance and excitement.

"Apparently." I nod. I hadn't made a move to come closer. I was unsure what to do.

Zander pulled the blankets back and pat his bed, "What are you waiting for? Come give me a hug. I've missed you in my arms, Babygirl."

I ran to him. Slipping under his blankets, careful not to put any pressure on his wound as I snuggled into his shoulder. I cried tears of joy at having him wrapped up in my arms and hugging me back. I wasn't sure if or even when this would be possible again until I saw his emerald gaze a moment ago.

"Do you know who's it is?" He asked while soothingly brushing my hair back with his fingers.

"No" I shook my head. "Do you want to know who's it is?" I asked.

For a moment he laid quiet in contemplation. "I don't think I want to know." He responded. "I know Jax and I will love it and care for it no matter which of us fathered the baby, but we should probably ask Jax just to be sure."

And that's when it hit me.

Like a ton of bricks.

I'm wracked with nerves.

I'm going to have to tell Jaxon.