Chapter 17

•a couple of days has gone by since Hero saw the photos online*

Josephine's pov:
'So I'll see you later on set?'
'Yeah.' I smile back, 'I'll see you.'
Noah returns my smile and exits my hotel room. It's nice having someone to hang out with. Usually I'd be spending all of my time with Hero, but he didn't want to come to LA with me. He could've asked to come, but he didn't. There's nothing wrong with hanging out with a co-star. The chemistry has to be there for the movie to look good, so the two of us have to get to know one another. It is purely professional.

I have to be on set by 11am, but Noah's got some scenes without me to shoot first. It's now just past 9. I'm guessing he's gotta be in by 9:30. We're so lucky that our hotel is so close to set. Noah arrived at 8 this morning to make sure I was awake. As much as I'd have liked a bit more of a lay in, it's nice to have a friend around. I need a distraction from everything going on right now. I know I should probably talk to Hero, but it's just difficult for me. I'm not quite sure why. I guess I've got to get my shit together first.

Hero's Pov:
As soon as I'm awake, I instantly need to piss. My eyes are heavy and my body feels strangely weak, limp almost. I drag my feet all the way to the bathroom before fumbling with my zipper.

I must have been stood here with my hands under the cold running water for at least 20 minutes, because by the time I've collected my thoughts, the flesh on my knuckles and fingers has gone numb. I look terrible in this goddamn mirror. If I weren't so fucking tired I'd have punched a hole through it by now.

I know I shouldn't be getting so drunk every night. To be fair, tonight I was barely out that long. I was so pissed off with everyone and their girlfriends that I couldn't stay any longer. Are they trying to make me jealous? Seeing everyone so happy in their relationships. It just makes me feel so much shittier. But I just can't find another way to ease this pain I'm feeling. Nothing else rids me of the ongoing ache I have for my missing piece. My Josephine.

It's 2am and I'm pleased that that means I don't have to be facing the world any time soon. I do, however, need to do my hourly text to Jo to feel normal. I shoot her a number of texts, and throw myself down on the bed. The soft pillow caresses my neck and I imagine it being her hands instead. I let myself believe that the warmth I feel from the quilt is actually the warmth from her body on top of mine. But it's not her hands and it isn't her warmth.

I've only just closed my eyes again when a sound rings in my ears that is now so unfamiliar that I believe I'm hallucinating. But I'm not and it's real. The phone is playing that shitty generic ringtone, loud and clear. I think my heart stops when I read that name. When I see that photo. That fucking gorgeous photo of my wife.

I realise I've been letting it ring for so long that it'll soon go to voicemail, so I swipe across the screen hastily and bring the mobile to my ear.
The line is silent for a few moments. Neither of us say a word. I just hear her breathing. I'm half expecting her to hang up when she finally talks. And at least one of the scars in my heart is healed from that sweet sound I've been craving for days.

'Hey, Hero.' Her voice is shaky, and unsure.
'I.. I didn't think you'd pick up.'
'I didn't, this time I called you.' She replies with a small, nervous giggle.
'I don't know how to begin, baby.' I practically whine. I must sound so damn pathetic. I wish I could mask my emotions better than this, but I can't.
'It's okay. I should have answered you, I just couldn't—'
'No, Jo don't you dare try and apologise for something I caused. I should never have been that drunk in the first place. I just can't believe I've fucked up our marriage so quickly.' I feel a tear threaten to spill from my eye but I suck in a breath and hold it back. She sniffles a little on her end of the call.

'Don't cry, please baby.'
'I don't know why I'm so emotional. It's just hard you know.. being apart like this. If I was at home with you, we could've sorted this by now. We..' she can't finish her sentence as her breathing quickens. It is physically killing me not being able to comfort her right now.
'Jo I'm so, so sorry. I can't tell you how much I've missed you this last week.' I confess.
'I.. I miss you too.' She manages to respond, which warms that once-cold part of my heart.

'I've got to go to set now, I'm now leaving my trailer. But we'll talk soon. I promise.' She says after a few moments of silence.
'Okay.' I say, 'I love you.'
I anxiously await those words from her and then they become reality.
'I love you, Hero.' She says, just above a whisper.

The line goes dead and I'm a little sad given the loss of her perfect voice. But I feel at ease, like something deep within me has been fixed just from that short conversation.
I allow myself to drift back into sleep, my worries growing further away with each breath I take.