Prologue

~Don't forget to tell me if you see any errors!~

19 years ago

The screams of the Queen filled the castle, nurses and doctors were running around, and the King and his son were right by her side. The Queen was in labor and the whole kingdom could hear it. The King, Caspian IX, held onto his wife's hand as she pushed one last time...

The Queen was very weak after the baby was born, but that was to be expected. She held the baby girl in her arms and smiled down at her.

"What do you think we should name your sister, son?" The Queen asked with a weak smile. The little boy climbed up onto the bed and laid by his Mother, looking down at the small baby in front of him.

"I don't know! She looks like Ellie though!" The boy said, not quite understanding the situation as Ellie was the name of his horse.

"Ellie...Ellen..." The Queen starts trying to find the perfect name for her daughter, trying to go off of what her son had said.

"Joellen." 

The King spoke, the name pouring from his lips like vintage wine. Both the Queen and the boy looked to him. The Queen felt herself say the name and at that moment, she knew it was perfect.

"It's beautiful!" The boy jumped up off of the bed and ran to his Father.

The Queen gave the baby to her husband as she needed to rest, they left her alone to sleep and went into the room next door.

"I wanna hold her! Please!" The boy shouted. "Do you know how, son?" The King asked. The boy shook his head 'no' and the King patted on the chaise next to him. The boy climbed onto it and sat next to his Father. The King taught his son how to hold his sister and handed her to him. He sat there looking at her with bright eyes.

The little boy started talking to his sister as if she was his best friend. He smiled at her and made faces at her. Although she couldn't giggle yet, her eye's glistened with joy. 

The King watched his two children. A smile filled with love showing on his face. He went to the side of the room and grabbed a box. He made his way back to his children and opened the box. He took out the object which turned out to be a necklace. It was the royal crest. He gave it to his son and asked him to put it around his sister's neck. "Hey, that matches mine!" The boy said smiling as he placed the necklace around her.

"It's a little big but she'll grow into it, right Father?" The boy asks.

"Yes she will, son." The King said as he smiled bigger.

They sat there for a little while longer. The King told himself that his life was perfect at that minute. But he couldn't have been more wrong.

Commotion started to arise in the room next to him, where his wife was resting. People started screaming for help and running around, panicking. The King heard the commotion and stood up. Suddenly, the door burst open and a doctor stood in the door frame.

"Your Majesty! Come quick!" The doctor screams.

"What's the matter?" The King responds, starting to panic.

"It's your wife, Sire!" The doctor tells him.

The King starts to run in the direction of the door when his son speaks up.

"Wait! Father, I want to come too!" The boy yells, sensing the fear in the room.

"No, son! Stay here with Joellen!" The King tells him.

"But--"

"No, Caspian! Stay here and protect your sister!" The King tells him again.

The King runs off to the room next to him, fear coursing through his veins.